Best Lye supplier?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lateada

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lye supplier? I dont want any problems with the quality, etc... who has the best? Thank you for your insight. :bunny:

Menards has been my go to supplier :)
Not the cheapest, but I can get it right when I need it. I don't go through crazy amounts like
many on here do. If you do, then ordering online would be more cost effective.

Thanks for the info. I am looking for an internet supplier. I live in Florida, the closest Menards is in Ky. Thanks anyway!

Oh, ok, I will check him out! Thank you so much...
Love the soap in your picture, very pretty...

Another essential depot person here.

I've been through dozens of bottles of ED's and no quality issues so for now I'll stick with them!

Thank you all very much! Glad to know I have a couple good choices...I'm closest to essential depot, I think I'll check them out..

Essential Depot, The Lye Guy, Bulk Apothecary, to name a few - all good quality. Check prices with shipping to your area, and go with the least expensive.
Or, pick up the phone book (white pages) or do a google search for chemical suppliers in your area and see if you can get some that way. Sometimes you have to have an FEIN or an EIN for them to sell to you, but before my source went out of business a few years ago I was able to get my lye for .50 a pound by getting it from them, with no shipping costs to add in, because I was able to pick it up.

Hiya. Don't know if this will help but Bulk Apothecary is running a promo on Lye. They have 8lbs for $13.53. Promo code is LYE at checkout. It's valid till weekend.

Speaking of lye - Bulk Apothecary based out of OH is having a sodium hydroxide sale; 20% off with code LYE at checkout this weekend. $15.00 off of their 50lb price.....

Personally I like natures garden. Because: quality, price, and comes in pellets. One only time I bought from apothecary and never again. I think the quality is good, but is like dust with lots of static.

Never order from essential depot, because you would have to order a huge quantity, and I do not use that much. Or at least last time I check.

If you do not care about dusty condition, I think apothecary has a 20% off on their lye. 8 pounds for like 13 or 14 bucks. Which I think is not bad. Need to type LYE on checkout.

Wow, thanks, lots of good info...I do agree about bulk apothecary..lots of static and dust you can't control...that Is why I'm asking about what everyone likes....essential depot makes the most sense for me..I'm in Tampa...and I will join their club...Gotta love the free Shea butter!

I too buy my Sodium Hydroxide from Bulk Apothecary. Just made use of their sale and bought a 50 lb pail. Used to but from Essential Depot until the whole bad lye fisasco. Lost several batches to that incident...

The only supplier info I can add is do not order from Wholesale Supplies Plus. They don't really focus much on CP/HP and the lye seems to sit around in the warehouse.

Lateada, If you don't mind driving across the bridge; you can get lye here (both NaOH and KOH): http://fssoapworks.com/?product=sodium-hydroxide. She is located in St. Petersburg, and offers local pick up so that saves a ton on shipping. She also has a wide variety of other soap making supplies and fragrances. Some of her prices may seem a little high at first, but when I calculate the savings of not paying shipping; she usually ends up being cheaper. Additionally, she's local for me; and I like to support local businesses whenever I can. :)

Oh, thank you, I will certainly check them out, I also like to support the hometown team! They are on vacation until Sept so I will have to catch them next time around....thanks again for telling me they are there

Latest posts

Back