6 batches, 5 CP and 1 HP so far

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor_Snape

Potions maker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone ! I've been roaming this Earth for quite a few years, and recently moved back to Western Michigan, where I grew up. I'm new to soap making, but have mixed some interesting potions in the past. So far 5 CP batches and 1 HP batch; all pretty much successful. My last CP batch is a little iffy since I added two extra ounces of canola oil....oops. Came out a bit sticky.

Welcome and Congrats on your successful CP and HP batches! If you don't mind my asking, where did you learn to make soap? YouTube? Book? Neighbor? Grandma? As far as "two extra ounces of canola oil....oops. Came out a bit sticky." -- consider that a "lesson learned" and don't do that any more. LOL I'm dying to hear more about mixing "some interesting potions" ???

Hello and Welcome!! Congrats on making soap and welcome to the addiction. Measuring accurately is so important. Also, using too much canola can make your soap more prone to DOS.

Hey and welcome!

You must use a proper lye calculator and weigh all ingredients. If you deviate from the recipe, you need to re-run the recipe through the calculator.

About your name-I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, and while watching DH2 last night (on Freeform's Harry Potter and the Birthday Weekend), I had the bad job of telling my husband that Alan Rickman is now deceased. Choked me up all over again.

Thank you for the warm welcome

Since I haven't mastered "quotes" yet I'll just try to answer some of your questions. Zany, I learned to make soap on You Tube, the Internet, and books that I downloaded onto my Kindle. By the way I consider myself a Coloradan too since I lived in Loveland for 30 years. Go Broncos. Artemis, would that be a reference to Artemis Gordon ? I went swimming in Lake Michigan last week for the first time in about 45 years, loved it. Susie, fantastic another Harry Potter fan. Alan Rickman's untimely death was very sad. Check out my Harry Potter tattoo. So, tonight I made a 32 oz. HP batch of cucumber soap. I ran one cucumber through the food processor, which gave me approx. 9 oz., next I pealed two more cucumbers and ran the skins through the food processor. I combined 3 oz. of pureed cucumber with 3 oz. of dist. water and used that for the lye mixture. After achieving light trace I put the crock pot on low, about 45 min. later I was at fluffy mashed potato stage, turned the crock pot off and added the remainder of the cucumber puree. Looks really good so far, love the color and the little green specks. By the way, Dollar Tree has some nice soft plastic loaf pans that are just perfect for two pound loafs. They work great and you can't beat the price. Soap on my friends and keep an eye on the Eastern sky.

Welcome Professor. I miss Colorado - sigh. I used to go through Loveland on my way to Greeley. People don't believe me when I tell them about the Valentine's Day re-mail in Loveland.

Happy Soaping!

Back