Best Antioxidant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
I was not sure where to post this question, so feel free to move it.

What is the best antioxidant for oils? I am looking into ROE or Vitamin E (T50). Are there others that are more effective? And do they really work?

I am looking into something that could potentially extend the shelf life of oils, body oils, body butters, etc. Any opinions or info is appreciated. :)

I use ROE in my soaping oils and haven't had any rancidity. I sometimes use vit E for leave on products.

Dr Kevin Dunn did an experiment using ROE, tetrasodium EDTA, BHT & others. The ROE & EDTA were the clear winners, vit E was at the bottom of the effectiveness list. The info can be found in his book "Scientific Soapmaking".

After battling random, occasional DOS, I started adding ROE to every bottle of soft oil when I open it. I also add EDTA to every batch of soap. Since I started doing this (maybe a year ago) I haven't any DOS rear it ugly and smelly head.

I too add ROE to my oils when I first open them. Just starting to use some EDTA. I rarely ever get DOS (twice in 7 years) but if I can prevent it even more that's a bonus.

I too add ROE to my oils when I first open them. Just starting to use some EDTA. I rarely ever get DOS (twice in 7 years) but if I can prevent it even more that's a bonus.

I add ROE to my oils when i first open them too. I am also particular about soap hygiene.
I don't use EDTA.
I haven't had DOS yet (touch wood) but have only been soaping for just under 2 years.

Dr Kevin Dunn did an experiment using ROE, tetrasodium EDTA, BHT & others. The ROE & EDTA were the clear winners, vit E was at the bottom of the effectiveness list. The info can be found in his book "Scientific Soapmaking".

After battling random, occasional DOS, I started adding ROE to every bottle of soft oil when I open it. I also add EDTA to every batch of soap. Since I started doing this (maybe a year ago) I haven't any DOS rear it ugly and smelly head.
According to his book BHT with Sodium Citrate came out on top.

Here's a link to what looks to be an excerpt from the book folks are talking about: http://cavemanchemistry.com/HsmgDos2006.pdf

Two other additives, Rosemary Oleoresin Extract (ROE) and Sodium Ethylenediammine Tetraacetate (EDTA) showed almost identical performance. Both lengthened the induction period beyond 300 hours (the limits of our test) and held the eventual color saturation below 30%.

And:
The best combination in our tests, however, came from BHT + Sodium Citrate. Used together they lengthened the induction period beyond 300 hours and held the eventual color saturation to about 10%, the same color as fresh soap

@EvelonesJohn -- I am not sure how your advice about filtering and skimming oils answers the OPs question. Please explain.

@Cellador -- Tocopherols (vitamin E) are good for skin, but don't necessarily function all that well when used as an antioxidant for fats. ROE is a safer and more reliable antioxidant for adding to fats. Soapy Stuff

Back