Legalese Help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I'm not in any trouble, I'm just trying to set up a business the "right" way.

MSU summarizes the basic steps of what I need to do to register a business in my area. This particular article is old but from what I can tell the steps are the same. Added to those instructions are getting insurance and setting up my website. I intend to start off with premade bases and then adding "premium" items as I find a solid recipe for CP and making other items from scratch.

I'm having trouble finding sources for the "correct way" to open an online shop and the instructions if I were to go to a convention or farmer's market out of state. Does any one have any sources I can start looking into? Arguably I could register my business in other states but that seems like hoops I'm not willing to jump through as a new business.

I am thinking about registering as an LLC but I feel that I need confirmation from someone before I make the decision official. I have made this decision and want to go for it but I am paralyzed by the idea that I won't have the safety net of someone else as boss. Does anyone have any general advice that they wish they knew before starting the business end of things?

I'm not any help with this issue, but congratulations on your new enterprise! Good luck!

I have looked this up before in regards to out-of-state sales in Illinois. Here is a link: http://tax.illinois.gov/Individuals/SalesandRelated/fairs.htm

You can probably find the same information for whatever state you are thinking of selling your products on each state's respective website.

And here is another source that might be of help in finding a summary of what each state requires for out-of-state vendors: https://www.avalara.com/learn/whitepapers/craft-fairs-and-sales-tax-a-state-by-state-guide/

As far as how to register your business, I would suggest you see if you can attend a small business owners training class. My husband and I did such a course when we started our restaurant and learned a lot of very important things for starting and running a small business, including what type of licensing was best for us in our given situation. It was through a community college, but off-campus. The cost was minimal and lasted about 3 months, meeting weekly.

Also the Handcrafted Soap & Cosmetic Guild has a section on their website about how to set up a business: https://www.soapguild.org/how-to/business-finance/

Last edited:
Each state varies here in the USA so you will need to check on reciprocity regulations. Some but not all states recognize a business license from a next door state. I live on the border here between two states that do not which is one more reason I do not have any plans to do what you are doing.

Research is priceless for the amount of trouble it will save you in the future.

Back