A hard lesson learned in buying EOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought several essential oils from a company in the UK. Only two of them were great. But those two were extremely great, the sandalwood and vetiver. The other, oh lord! They have this gasoline/turpentine/acetone/solvent type of smell. Worst are the patchouli, Atlas cedarwood and benzoin. And, stupid me, I bought 50ml bottles of each :-(

But I will test them on a coffee filter strip, as some of you wrote, to see if they change from bad to beautiful. If not, I will try to dillute a drop of each in oil, let them sit for a while to breath and see what happens. I do hope they will turn out great after something has evaporated. I would hate to throw them away. If I'm lucky, they smell like something from a garage because they are so concentrated. The patchouli is for sure concentrated, I tried to wear and guess if it was strong! My mother was choking! Vetiver and sandalwood is not that strong, and don't smell used motor oil, so maybe it is a relation between that gasoline smell and strenght of the scent?

But their vetiver is out of this world! I am totally in love with it! It's vetiver from Haiti. It's not earthy, other than the first minutes, but more like a sophisticated men's cologne. But I bought only 10ml of that after reading a very bad review about their vetiver being not from Haiti but something cheap from elswere and stinking. Well, I have no idea, but it is the total opposite of stinking.

I think Atlas cedarwood maybe is the worst. It's like an ashtray filled with gasoline, sat on fire and sprinkled with sawdust and rubber, or something like that. Horrible! But I do hope it can turn into a wood cabin scent. Maybe cold process is the best, so that the lye can eat most of the scent and maybe transform it. But I will not waste soaping oils before I have some clue if it will change into something better or not.

Now you're making me curious, which company?

Now you're making me curious, which company?

I have no idea why the text turned up in red. It was not supposed to. I'm not sure if I can write the company name here legally. I send you a PM

My husband always told me that you can't buy a Ferrari in the price of Renault. It means a cheap essential oil they'll use cheap solvent because if it's a good quality it means it will be expensive. I did experiment before that I buy 10 ml of Boswellia frereana ( Somalian frankincense), the cheaper EO oil in company that I used before while the expensive essential oil in different company I heard of but I never use them because they're more expensive but the result I can tell the different between the scent of a cheaper essential oil compare to more expensive one. Sometimes we need to invest if we want the good quality.

Yes, very true. Cheap is often cheap for a reason. But it is easy to be tempted by those low prices :D

I have found a supplier in the UK that I think is very good. But I have not ordered from them, so I don't know. But they have several oils of the same plant, so that the customers can choose the scent profile they are more attracted to. And they do write very good scent descriptions. I'm sure they are great, and I will buy a patchouli from them. I would like a patchouli without that humid basement scent, and they have it. Well, but not I can't find it, typical! Maybe it's gone or I had misunderstood. Anyway, they have a HUGE selection, and also synthetic aroma chemicals. The company is hermitageoils.com.

But again, I have NOT ordered from them yet. They just look like a very serious business with good oils. And they are not dead cheap, but not too expensive either, depending. A very wide price range, from relatively cheap to very expensive. I would say relatively affordable, in total. Maybe others know more about Hermitage Oils?

Yes, very true. Cheap is often cheap for a reason. But it is easy to be tempted by those low prices :D

I have found a supplier in the UK that I think is very good. But I have not ordered from them, so I don't know. But they have several oils of the same plant, so that the customers can choose the scent profile they are more attracted to. And they do write very good scent descriptions. I'm sure they are great, and I will buy a patchouli from them. I would like a patchouli without that humid basement scent, and they have it. Well, but not I can't find it, typical! Maybe it's gone or I had misunderstood. Anyway, they have a HUGE selection, and also synthetic aroma chemicals. The company is hermitageoils.com.

But again, I have NOT ordered from them yet. They just look like a very serious business with good oils. And they are not dead cheap, but not too expensive either, depending. A very wide price range, from relatively cheap to very expensive. I would say relatively affordable, in total. Maybe others know more about Hermitage Oils?

Yes it does

Hermitage is good quality too I been buying with them before. The quinessence is good quality but more expensive than the soap kitchen where I get my supplies for soaping including essential oil.

The Soap Kitchen, aha! I have a full shopping cart there, as well as tens of other places. I can't deside on anything, and can definately not afford everything. But then I will take the chance to buy some essential oils there along with the soap supplies I desperately need. And from Hermitage for using as perfume. Thanks for the advice and experience with them! :)

I would like a patchouli without that humid basement scent, and they have it. Well, but not I can't find it, typical! Maybe it's gone or I had misunderstood.
Ha! That is a great scent description! I love light patchouli, but dark patchouli still smells gross to me. Gross musty damp basement scent pretty much sums it up.

The Soap Kitchen, aha! I have a full shopping cart there, as well as tens of other places. I can't deside on anything, and can definately not afford everything. But then I will take the chance to buy some essential oils there along with the soap supplies I desperately need. And from Hermitage for using as perfume. Thanks for the advice and experience with them! :)

Hermitage oil I used for my perfume, lotion, massage oil and face cream.

Yes I spent a lot in soap kitchen too

New direction aromatics uk it's good too.

Ha! That is a great scent description! I love light patchouli, but dark patchouli still smells gross to me. Gross musty damp basement scent pretty much sums it up.

I used dark patchouli in my perfume and some of my friend told me that smell like weed. I said I never smell weed in my life so I don't know the scent

Back