Perfect Pencil Lines

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponista

Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering if any of you experienced soapers would be willing to share their methods for getting nice neat pencil lines. I struggle to distribute the powder I am using evenly and end up using way too much mica/charcoal/cocoa powder in some patches and not enough in others. I tried a miniature flour shaker but the mesh is too big for the fine particles so I was wondering what other people use?

I use a little tea ball like this - I leave it open and just shake gently over the soap
mesh_tea_ball_2-inch.jpg

I've also used a small fine mesh strainer like this, but it needs to be the finer type
mesh-strainer.jpg

Anything with a fine mesh, really. And gentle shaking or bumping.
Use less than you think you need - you actually need some bald patches to make the two halves stick together.
Oh and DO NOT BLOW - it wont even it out, it will just pile the stuff up in the corners. :Kitten Love:

One of the things I had to let go of is the idea of getting a perfectly even coating over the soap. Aim for as "good as you can but not too thick" of a coating and move on. Remember -- it's not how it looks when you do it, it's how it looks when the bar is cut. Different things.

I have ordered a fine nylon tea strainer from eBay so I will report on the results when it comes.

It's only my crazy relatives who think my soap is too good to use eff. I'm sure most of the ridiculously experienced soapers on here would think it was rubbish in comparison to theirs! Some of the swirls and designs I see are far out of reach of my limited abilities. :)

Latest posts

Back