Help!!! Possible seizure!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so I made a batch of soap today with a blueberry FO and once it came to a light trace I added a handful of blueberry seeds to as an exfoliant. I poured it into my mold, and with a minute or 2, it started rising like a cake in the oven, then split down the middle and started spilling over the edges of my mold. Comparable to a volcano.
What happened? Is it the blueberry seeds?
Here's what I used:
Avocado oil - 12 ounces
Cocoa butter - 4 ounces
Coconut oil - 14 ounces
Macadamia nut oil - 1 ounce
Olive oil - 14 ounces
Shea butter - 2 ounces

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

How warm were your oils and lye water? DId you use full water? I don't know if Blueberry FO is an accelerator but if it is, that can contribute to overheating.

Yes its heat related and it was a volcano not seizure. Scoop up all that you can and cook it in a crock pot HP style.

A lot of FO plus Spice EO's tend to heat up along with goat's milk, sugars and honey. Alcohol will cause seizing and wine and beer also causing overheating because of the sugars. If you check reviews, if any are available, people that have used the particular fo will using mention any seizing, ricing, overheating etc. Nature's Garden usually has such including in the details of the fo. Coconut FO's are notorious overheaters. Some just have to be hp'ed

Awesome!! Thanks so much, team! Just a tiny lil heat issue. I'll wait for oils to cool down a bit more next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Yes, that's not seizure but it definitely sounds like the soap overheated. You'll probably have to rebatch/HP depending on how solid it is, if it's still goopy & soft you can just dump it in the crock pot and heat it. If it's particularly solid, you'll probably have to grate it or chop it up into chunks first. I've heard that soaping with your oils too hot compared to your lye can make your soap volcano.

Latest posts

Back