HELP**Body butter oils and water did not emulsify

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennb216

Reaction score
I have made this recipe twice. The first time it came out beautifully, but the second time the water and Oils did not emulsify. What could I have done wrong?

• Grapeseed oil: 2 ounces (56.7 grams)
  • Sweet almond oil: 2.5 ounces (70.9 grams)
  • Avocado oil: 2 ounces (56.7 grams)
  • Shea butter: 2.5 ounces (70.9 grams)
  • Mango butter: 2.5 ounces (70.9 grams)
  • Cocoa butter: 2.25 ounces (63.8 grams)
  • Kokum (or other butter of choice): 2.25 ounces (63.8 grams)
  • Emulsifying wax: 2 ounces (56.7 grams)
  • Stearic acid: 1 ounce (28.4 grams)
  • Distilled water: 13 ounces (368.5 grams)
  • Preservative: (see manufacturer’s recommendation)
  • Skin-safe fragrance or essential oil: .3 ounce (8.5 grams)
I'm new to this. Any help is much appreciated.

In my experience, if I have had something turn out right the first time and wrong the second time then the problem is the process. I am not a professional in lotion making, but I have made it enough to know that emulsification can be tricky and temperature is important. I actually use a blender now to ensure emulsification, but even so I put in the hot oils and then while it is blending I pour in the hot water (I have a Ninja that allows me to do that). I get a great end result- far better than whisking or even stick blending to be honest. I am sure other people can chime in on this with their experiences. Go back at it again. You will figure it out ;-)
Anna Marie

I use a kitchenaid Mixer. I never thought about using my ninja! Do you use the blender part or the shorter food processor? I think i may have not let my water heat up enough...that's all I can think of. Thanks for the reply.

If anyone else has a good body butter recipe I would LOVE the feedback!

I use the shorter food processor part since I am dealing with smaller amounts and it has the same attachments. My last moisturizer made with rosehip oil is absolutely mousse-like- a treat! I don't run it for too long, just a few seconds. I mainly like it because it works fast and while I am adding one ingredient to the other. Since I started using it I haven't had any emulsification issues or separation.
On body butter, while I don't have a recipe to share I have gotten wonderful results with cooling my oils in the freezer and then stick blending. I get super lush and creamy butters that way. Soap Queen has an awesome 2 ingredients body butter on her blog as well as others.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

My suggestion is to get a modestly priced blender to use and dedicate it to lotion/body cream making. That way there is no worry about chemicals carrying over in food products. I have used a blender for lotion and cream making and they do work great.

Latest posts

Back