Air bubbles be gone!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenneelk

Reaction score
How do you all not get air bubbles besides pounding the soap after its poured? How do you try to avoid them?
I don't know if my hand blender is the issue but it's just a typical Kitchen Aid stick blender. I've seen videos galore and no one ever seems to get air bubbles when mixing yet I always do no matter if it's a 1.5 lb or 4 lb batch. I don't lift the stick out unless its off and I'm kind of stirring with it.. basically like pulsing. But even before I do that I get air bubbles it seems.

Even pouring the lye down the stick like suggested... still get bubbles. Making me a little frustrated because I don't seem to pound them all out and a few bars always have tiny holes somewhere. I try to pound on the floor as much as possible but sometime the soap comes flying back at me and once I didn't know it until my neck started burning. :/

Burp your stick blender. When you put it in your batter, tilt it slightly before you turn it on until you see no more bubbles come up. Do this every time you put the blender in and it will minimize the added bubbles. Also, if you're doing layers tap your mold a couple of times between layers. That way your getting rid of added bubbles as you add layers. Harder for the bubbles to come up after you have all of your soap in your mold especially if the bubbles are down at the bottom. HTH

Thanks Kazmi.. Will try that with the blender! :)
The layers I do try to do when I have time. Did with last batch but still
Had bubbles. Lol

I use a cheap Salton 2 speed blender from wally world and never get bubbles, I have a KA blender that I don't use because of the bubble issue. You can also slam the mold on the counter to try to release the bubbles

It's possible that your seal on your shaft may be broken. Raw soap batter is not kind to rubber seals and they can degrade over time. I had mystery air bubbles in a few batches in a row and another soaper suggested this might be the problem. I got a new to me SB and the bubbles went away.

Hint: older Brauns are pretty durable and you can get them on ebay cheaply.

Also pouring at a lighter trace will help the air bubbles come out when you bang the mold..but make sure you're traced!

It might also be helpful to use a smaller bowl, so that your stick blender has to go deeper into your soap mixture (making it less likely to pull air in while blending).

Back