Question on Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PippinsMama

Reaction score
Hi all, I am getting my feet wet with M&P soap crafting (the CP still initimidates me) - anyways, I got this "recipe" and it just looks off a bit. After reading through many posts here about how much other "stuff" you can add to MP Bases, I just want to know what your thoughts are - I am escpecially interested in whether or not you can actually add something like pumpkin puree or applesauce to a base. I would think it would mold?? Anyways, thanks in advance for your input!

This is what is said to add to 2 lbs of base.

For the Pumpkin Soap, put in with your spoon 4 heaping tablespoons of Pumpkin Pie filling, 1 tablespoon of Molasses, 1 tablespoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice and 1 tablespoon of Hand Ground Cinnamon. Stir very well until thoroughly blended. Measure and pour in 1 tablespoon of the Fragrance Oil. Again blend really well.

I personally would not add that to mp soap. Pureed foods in mp tend to go moldy. I also stay clear of cinnamon in mp or cp since it can irritate the skin. Plus, doesn't pumpkin pie spice have cinnamon in it as well? That would be a lot of irritant.

Instead I'd find a good pumpkin pie fragrance oil.

With mp base a good rule for adding food ingredients is, if it goes moldy or bad sitting on your counter, it will go bad in mp.

If you do look for a pumpkin pie fragrance oil, make sure that it is skin safe. There are many out there that are not because of the cinnamon, ginger and clove that are in them.

Genny said:
With mp base a good rule for adding food ingredients is, if it goes moldy or bad sitting on your counter, it will go bad in mp.

Glenny puts that very well!

Also, adding up to 2 Tablespoons of additives [including your fragrance] per 2 pounds of M&P is the ratio. I know that when I made my Pumpkin Harvest soap I only need 2 teaspoons for a 2 pound batch as the fragrance oil [FO] is that strong. If you're looking for an excellent pumpkin FO, I highly recommend Sweetcakes' Pumpkin Spice FO. http://www.sweetcakes.com/default.php?cPath=7&sort=1a&&page=2

Hope you make some super Pumpkin Soap!

Back