Gel Phase...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
...in a TOG mold is HOT!

For those of you that have never had gelling soap splashed up your leg while you are frantically trying to bang the soap down into the mold while it is starting to gel, it is not something I would put high on your to try list! :oops: :lol: :lol:

So, to fill in the story...
I've got this beautiful mold. I decide to make my biggest batch ever & fill it to the top. I also decide I'm going to do a 30% water discount, just for the hell of it. I am seeing beautiful swirls in this soap. Does it sound like I just bit off more than I can chew? :shock:

I start measuring oils & realise that I don't have enough pre-mixed, room temp oils. No matter, I'll just make a fresh batch. Forgetting, of course, that I won't have as much time to play. So, in goes the lye and the FO, and bugger, it's starting to trace already. Quick, grab the color. Bugger, wrong one, doesn't work in CP, grab the other one. Holy cow, that soap is getting thick, quick color the other portion. BUGGER, it's too thick, can't mix in the color, just get it in the mold. No time for swirls, just get it in there!

HOLY COW, it's starting to gel as it hits the mold. Quick, squish it down - can't, it's too hot! Quick, bang it on the floor to settle it in! Ow OW OW, gelling soap up the leg. Bugger it, I'll rebatch.

ETA - forgot to add, had to find a pot big enough to mix in, this being my largest batch ever...

Hi Becky

I hope your o.k.
Just when you think everything is finely tuned it can get so unpredictable at times.
Cheers

Back