Rancid soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agail06

Reaction score
I have made two batches of soap that have seem to gone rancid (or that is what I think happen). How do you keep this from happening? And what is the main factors that cause it? I know the oils were good, they were all opened brand new. Please help!

Well they smell a little funny and turned a funny yellow color and when you actually wash your hands with them they have a real funny smell. What is DOS? Sorry kinda new to all the terms.

Ok I looked up the term. Dreaded Orange Spots, and yes they do have a little discoloring, but I have not seem this to compare it to.

I made them about a month ago and the recipe was from a book, it wasn't made up. I am actually at work right now, so I can't really say exactly what it was.

turning a yellowish color can be normal discoloration from a fragrance oil, but the bad smell thing shouldnt be happening, the should be getter harder and better with time, yeah we need you recipe. Some oils arent the greatest for soap. I use oo, po, co and castor(sometimes shea), I can give some recipes if you like.

I will try to post my recipe, tomorrow is a busy day, so I am not sure it will be tomorrow. But I would love a good basic recipe that you have. Thanks!!

Do you or are you open to using lard?

You could try

25% coconut oil
30% lard
35% olive oil
10% castor

You could put the percentages into Soapcalc or another lye calculator to get the quantity you need for your mold and it will tell you much water and lye to use.

http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

you can use Soap calc to play around with the oils you have on hand to make a good recipe although you have to realize they aren't the end all be all of the qualities you'll get in your soap. Have fun!

Latest posts

Back