Sugar Bubbles vs. Castor Oil Bubbles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblefan

Reaction score
I'm trying to squeeze in one last batch of soap tonight, but I've run out of castor oil. I've never soaped without it. I know sugar can really up the bubbles, but is it comparable to castor oil?

Also, can someone tell me if 2 TBS of sugar ppo is about right?

Thanks!

bubblefan said:
I'm trying to squeeze in one last batch of soap tonight, but I've run out of castor oil. I've never soaped without it. I know sugar can really up the bubbles, but is it comparable to castor oil?

Also, can someone tell me if 2 TBS of sugar ppo is about right?

Thanks!

2 T. granulated sugar ppo works for me
I don't think sugar ups the lather as much as castor oil ups it.

Oh no! Out of castor oil is considered a disaster at my house - it goes in every batch I make. I think I'm going to start buying it by the gallon :lol:

boy. my soaps with castor DEFINITELY are more bubbly than w/o it. i'd say stop what you're doing and make a run to walfart :lol:

A day without castor in my house = a day without soaping (unless I'm making a 100/20 CO soap). :lol:

I agree with CastorFan that sugar cannot compare to castor. Although sugar will give a bit of a boost to lather, it's not the same kind of boost that castor gives. With castor, there is also the added benefit of a really nice, creamy, dense feel to the lather that you don't get from sugar.

IrishLass :)

I ran out too!! UPS should be here tomorrow with my gallon :lol:

I just tried my goji berry soap and I had added sugar to it (it's my main recipe) and there is a BIG difference with the sugar. I am not making a batch without it :)

I put it in every batch , along with the bubble making factor , it is said to anchor eo's , so I assume it would for FO's too.

Kitn

Rosey: Are you not making a batch without sugar? or without castor oil? I am curious if the sugar makes a "big difference". I know the castor does, but wasn't sure about the sugar as I've only used it in one batch.

Bnky said:
Rosey: Are you not making a batch without sugar? or without castor oil? I am curious if the sugar makes a "big difference". I know the castor does, but wasn't sure about the sugar as I've only used it in one batch.

I'm not making a batch without either :D Castor oil is in my base recipe. If I remember right (soap calc is down!!!) it's also super conditioning.

Sunkawakan said:
Please forgive my stupidity, but how much castor oil ppo? can you use sugar and castor oil together?

We had a thread last week about it and it seems most people use anywhere from 1-10%

I haven't tried sugar enough to know how much it adds to the soap. I am going to have to try it again. Thanks!

Has anyone ever notice if there are more bubbles with beer soap? I think my beer soap has more bubbles then any other of my soaps. I haven't made any with sugar but now I want to try and see.

Latest posts

Back