Shampoo Bars...Color Treated Hair

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic1963

Reaction score
Just wondering if Shampoo bars strip the color from your hair if you color treat ? or if rinsing in Vinegar would strip the color ?

Or if because they are detergents they would NOT strip it ? I am making kitn's shampoo bar today.

Doing HP so I won't have to wait to long to try it.

In my experience they do not strip the color . They are more gentle on your hair than any store bought shampoo I have ever used . I don't know about a vinegar rinse though . Tons of people use apple cider to rinse their hair .

Can't wait to hear what you think of the poo bars .

Kitn

Hey...that is a great name for them Poo-Bars LOL.

Thanks for answering my question Kitn....I got my soap poured, but it isnt set up yet. I will let you know tomorrow.

Thanks for the recipe.

HAHAHAH......Didn't think of that kind of Poo........HAHAHA.

I guess Poo could mean Sham- Poo or Poo-Poo HAHa.

soap may leave your hair feeling soft, but it has a very high pH - and shampoos formulated for color treated hair tout a very low pH. so I'd personally think twice about using it.

I'll look for research on the topic.

carebear said:
soap may leave your hair feeling soft, but it has a very high pH - and shampoos formulated for color treated hair tout a very low pH. so I'd personally think twice about using it.

I'll look for research on the topic.

Ok, thanks for the info...:) I just made a pound of it. Hubby don't color treat so he can use it :) He looks good with gray...go figure..LOL.

Kitn, does your shampoo bar leave any kind of "film" on your hair?

I just recently bought a shampoo bar for the first time from Lush and I love it - but I've used some of my own soaps on my hair before and they left a really heavy, greasy kind of feeling. I'd love to try to make something that doesn't leave that kinda "residue" on my hair!

I did her recipe, only HP today, and my bar set up and I went ahead and tried it just a bit ago......I know I should have waited.....but, NO , Kitn's recipe did not seem to leave any kind of residue that I could tell. It is really a cleansing bar.

My bar is not real hard, but it will probably get hard in a few days.

My hair is really dry...so I would need to use a conditioner of some sorts. But I am thinking it would be great for oily hair....or hair with alot of product residue.

I had already used it when I read the other post about the pH factor on my color treated hair.

Ashley, if I recall correctly the shampoo bars from Lush are actually synthetic detergent products (probably why I like them so much better than soap) and shouldn't leave a residue like soap does (can? will? might? depending on our experiences, I guess)

for many folks, real soap leaves not only a soap scum residue on the hair (if you have hard water), but also the super high pH roughens the cuticle on each hair, raising it and leaving the hair strands rough and sticky. some can tolerate it - I cannot, even with a dilute vinegar rinse.

I made a beer soap that I liked on my hair (though I would use conditioner), salt bars are pretty good, though the other day I used one and my hair seemed kind of greasy afterward... then again, I used a heavy conditioner AND a hair creme. Overall though, my hair is much shinier, etc. w/commercial shampoo... though using borax and a citric acid rinse as a conditioner would get the #2 spot.

Vic1963 said:
carebear said:

Ok, thanks for the info...:) I just made a pound of it. Hubby don't color treat so he can use it :) He looks good with gray...go figure..LOL.

I tested a new 3 week old soap it had a ph of 8 and a 7 month old shampoo bar it had a ph of 7 . I used hospital grade ph test strips .

Here is a link on a ph test of regular shampoo .

http://www.odec.ca/projects/2005/wali5s ... levels.htm

Here is a link on color treated ph numbers .

http://www.haircolorist.com/news_articl ... letter.pdf

Personally I don't worry about the small ph variance between color treated shampoo and my shampoo bar . I have read if you add goats milk it brings the ph down to about 5.5 . My hair tells me what I need to know .I have all over color , highlights and low lights treated hair , my hair is 100 times more manageable and healthier looking using the shampoo bar . I have been using them for 9 months now . Even my hairdresser is amazed how long the color stays good ,and how good my hair feels .If my hair didn't grow at warp speed it would even be better .
I realize everyone's hair is different and we would not all have the same experience .

ETA more info

AshleyR said:
Kitn, does your shampoo bar leave any kind of "film" on your hair?

I just recently bought a shampoo bar for the first time from Lush and I love it - but I've used some of my own soaps on my hair before and they left a really heavy, greasy kind of feeling. I'd love to try to make something that doesn't leave that kinda "residue" on my hair!

No it doesn't Ashley I have dry hair though . I have been dealing with my crappy hair for a long time , I have to say it has never been softer or shinier or more manageable , since using the poo bar . Actually my hubby has thin hair , had to wash it everyday using reg shampoo . With the poo bar the grease factor is way down and he could skip a day of washing it .

Do you know what is in the Lush one ? We could try to come up with something close .

Kitn

Kitn

I never saw the recipe for kitn's poo bar... I'm gonna have to search (... unless someone wants to post it again.... ;) )

lol... I was holding out ;)

2 oz OO
5 oz CO
1 oz Jojoba
3 oz PO
4 oz Castor Oil
1 oz Cocoa Butter
If that's the right one.... it's actually the same ingredients of a coffee shampoo bar I made, just diff. ratios. I think I only tried an end piece when it was a few days old. Looks like something's getting tried tomorrow in the shower!

kittywings said:
lol... I was holding out ;)

2 oz OO
5 oz CO
1 oz Jojoba
3 oz PO
4 oz Castor Oil
1 oz Cocoa Butter
If that's the right one.... it's actually the same ingredients of a coffee shampoo bar I made, just diff. ratios. I think I only tried an end piece when it was a few days old. Looks like something's getting tried tomorrow in the shower!

You silly girls :D
I was reading about the ph of shampoo etc , see page1 for the info . If you want the shampoo bar to have a lower ph add some goats milk .
I like it the way it is but thought I would let people know this little tid bit .
Kitn

Back