Anti caking agent in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
The powers that be in Oz have decided that all salt made here has to have anti caking agent added. I can but rock salt without it but don't want to wreck my food processor grinding it up. We can't get canning salt. We can buy fluffy salt without it but not fine grained.

Can I use salt with anticaking agent for a salt soap or will it lead to spots or worse?

I would not think it would hurt anything. Grinding salt is not very advisable, it tends to sharpen the edges even when ground to a powder. It can result in a salt bar that feels like little needles when using it. I have known the fact about grinding salt and recently re-introduced myself to the problems with ground salt. I really had forgotten the salt I was using for 2 batches (28 bars) of my rather expensive to make dead sea mud salt bars, so I now have 28 non sell-able bars. I would use a fine grind salt with anti-caking rather than grinding any salt

Aniti-caking agent is usually fine silica gel to absorb water. Won't have any effect on soap, I don't think. If it's for food consumption, it will listed on the label somewhere as an inert ingredient.

After all, if you can eat it, it shouldn't harm your skin if it's in the soap.

Can you get ahold of dendritic salt? I love it in my salt bars - no scratch whatsoever

Back