Question About Infusing Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aboring0392

Reaction score
I have yet to make soap. I found a recipe online that I would like to try, it seems simple, no colorants, no fragrance. The question I have is if I wanted to infuse olive oil with chamomile before using it does that change the saponification? Can I use the same recipe or does this change it? This may be a dumb question, but thought I would ask before attempting.

I got the recipe from Humblebee and Me

http://www.humblebeeandme.com/gentle-hemp-and-shea-soap/

Not sure I want to attempt the white stripe on my first batch, but was thinking about adding the clay to the mixture.

I figured I would try this out. I was going to try and change the recipe a little on the soap calc, but think Ill leave it as is for my first attempt.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.40.55 AM.png

Where are you located? if you are in the US, I strongly recommend a kit from Brambleberry.

https://www.brambleberry.com/Natural-Soap-Kit-for-Beginners-P6607.aspx
» Your choice of one of our three best-selling essential oils (Orange, Lavender or Lemongrass)
» Natural Colorant
» Natural Botanical
» Reusable Silicone Mold
» Digital Scale
» Goggles & Disposable Gloves
» Sodium Lactate
» Blend of Oils
» Sodium Hydroxide
» Instructions and Custom Bar Soap Labels
» Exclusive Online video
» FREE SHIPPING!
Al you would need to supply would be a stick blender and a bowl or pot.

BB also has a kit that includes the stick blender:
https://www.brambleberry.com/Handmade-Soap-Kits--C711.aspx

That's a pretty good recipe. My question is, do you already have shea butter and hemp oil? If not, those are somewhat pricey and hard to find ingredients. Here's a good starter recipe:

50% lard
20% coconut
25% olive
5% castor
All available at Wal-Mart.

I would up the Lard to 40-45% and drop the hemp oil and add the difference to your Olive oil. Hemp oil has a short shelf life. If you do decide to use it I would drop it to 10-15% at most. Some don't like their CO that high but I don't mind it. I like bubbles.

No I don't have the shea butter, but found the hemp at the health foods store in town. I didn't know shea was so hard to find. I liked the recipe because, shea soaps we get from the store are the only ones that my husband uses that don't give him bumps on his skin.

if I drop the Shea and the hemp, should I still consider using the kaolin clay?
And how do you find out the shelf life?? like if I did use hemp like how long would it last? I liked the idea of the hemp bc it gave it that pretty green color and thought it was really good for your skin??

The shelf life is trial and error - soapers often recommend keeping the combined linoleic and linolenic total (displayed in the bottom right corner) below 15% so the soap doesn't go rancid too soon. There are plenty of folks who have had success going higher. There are a few tricks that might help prolong shelf life: fresh oils stored properly, lower superfat, tetrasodium EDTA & ROE etc.

Still, I'd say just go for it! If you are worried about using hemp oil just lower it a little and make up the difference in olive for a similar feel. You'll probably want to try shea butter eventually, so why not now? Then try all the other recipes here :) Soaping is so much fun, you'll want to make more, and it helps to try lots of recipes to discover what you personally like best. Good luck!

if I drop the Shea and the hemp, should I still consider using the kaolin clay?
And how do you find out the shelf life?? like if I did use hemp like how long would it last? I liked the idea of the hemp bc it gave it that pretty green color and thought it was really good for your skin??

Is there a reason you want to use kaolin clay? Or is it just because it was in the recipe? You can still use it if you like. My suggestion would be to make a batch using my recipe (or one similar) without it first, and then make one with it.

Re: shelf life of oils.
http://www.northcountrymercantile.com/soapmakinglibrary/shelf-life-of-soap-making-oils/

Rancidity:
http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

This is a swap someone did using soaps that were 100% of a single oil. Within 6 months the 100% hemp oil soap was orange and rancid.

That being said, if you really want to try this recipe, it won't be a total disaster. You may be able to pick up a small quantity of shea butter and/or hemp oil at a local health food store.

Is there a reason you want to use kaolin clay? Or is it just because it was in the recipe? You can still use it if you like. My suggestion would be to make a batch using my recipe (or one similar) without it first, and then make one with it.

Re: shelf life of oils.
http://www.northcountrymercantile.com/soapmakinglibrary/shelf-life-of-soap-making-oils/

Rancidity:
http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

This is a swap someone did using soaps that were 100% of a single oil. Within 6 months the 100% hemp oil soap was orange and rancid.

That being said, if you really want to try this recipe, it won't be a total disaster. You may be able to pick up a small quantity of shea butter and/or hemp oil at a local health food store.

Yes I was going to us the clay because thats what was in the recipe, but if I can't find it I guess I can leave it out. I think I tend to get a bit ambitious even more so since I haven't been able to walk for 2 weeks and have just been researching soap making obsessively. I probably will try a simpler one first though.

I love hemp oil and use it when I can, even if it IS a butt about short shelf life and risks of DOS. If you decide to keep hemp oil in your inventory, add some rosemary oleoresin extract (roe) as soon as you open it, and keep it sealed in the fridge and it will be good for up to a year if your bottle is fresh. I've made several hemp soaps that lasted 6 months to a year before developing DOS but that's about all you can expect. If that recipe speaks to you, its not a bad one to start with. For myself, I'd lower the coconut oil to 15% and make it up with the hemp and olive oil. I would also ditch the titanium dioxide and just use the clay (because I like clay in soaps - I would mix it with the lye water to be sure it hydrates), and ditch the organic matter on the top which just clogs the drain. But that's just me :)

And yes you can infuse any oil you like with just about anything you like - just strain it well before using. I cant think of an example where the SAP value would change. Unfortunately in my experience the only things that survive lye is color, and sometimes not that either. But it wont hurt.

I love hemp oil and use it when I can, even if it IS a butt about short shelf life and risks of DOS. If you decide to keep hemp oil in your inventory, add some rosemary oleoresin extract (roe) as soon as you open it, and keep it sealed in the fridge and it will be good for up to a year if your bottle is fresh. I've made several hemp soaps that lasted 6 months to a year before developing DOS but that's about all you can expect. If that recipe speaks to you, its not a bad one to start with. For myself, I'd lower the coconut oil to 15% and make it up with the hemp and olive oil. I would also ditch the titanium dioxide and just use the clay (because I like clay in soaps - I would mix it with the lye water to be sure it hydrates), and ditch the organic matter on the top which just clogs the drain. But that's just me :)

And yes you can infuse any oil you like with just about anything you like - just strain it well before using. I cant think of an example where the SAP value would change. Unfortunately in my experience the only things that survive lye is color, and sometimes not that either. But it wont hurt.

Don't I need the coconut oil to keep up the hardness of the bar? I was also thinking of ditching the titanium dioxide, because I need to research that a little more, it doesn't sound too natural. If I decreased the coconut oil what should I shoot for for hardness on soap calc. I thought It needed to be at least in the 40's range right?

I just want to add that I also love hemp oil. Every so often I buy some, and use it up fairly quickly, keeping in stored in the refrigerator. I haven't had a problem with DOS from hemp, but I don't let those bars sit around for very long either. Since you already have the hemp oil, I'd say go ahead and use it. I would also consider dropping the amount to 10-12%. Keep one bar from the batch and check it periodically. Then you will have an idea of how long the shelf life of your soaps from that recipe is.

Coconut oil at 25% doesn't bother me, but many people find that much to be too drying. All you can do is try it for yourself. I typically keep the coconut a little closer to 20-23%. I like the bubbles. Your soap will be plenty hard with 15% coconut oil. If you do lower the coconut, maybe make up the difference by adding to the lard.

The numbers on SoapCalc can be a little misleading. For example, put in 100% olive oil and look at the numbers. Horrid, right? According to the numbers it'd be a squishy, soft bar that doesn't clean for jack. But castille soap has been around and popular for literally hundreds of years. And with proper curing, castille soap makes a ROCK freakin' hard bar. So don't get too attached to the numbers.

When it comes to formulating recipes, I'll add my own two cents about listening to the experienced soapmakers here. Pretty much every commercially available oil there is has been used in soap by at least one or two of the folks here, and they often report their observations on how different oils behave and feel in soap. Start playing with the search function, you'll find tons of good info.

Not sure I want to attempt the white stripe on my first batch, but was thinking about adding the clay to the mixture.
Try it first to see if you like it. Then try one additive (1tsp - 1 Tbls PPO) at a time, such as clay, oat flour & honey, kitchen spice like paprika (speckled peach), baby carrots or spinach, dried parsley or rosemary, etc. This is what I like to call a "good learning recipe". You could try a lot of different goodies and liquids to compare the differences that each brings to the soaping table.

I figured I would try this out. I was going to try and change the recipe a little on the soap calc, but think Ill leave it as is for my first attempt.
I commend you on your decision. I like this recipe just as it is. You may not want to tweak it at all. (haha Fat chance of that happening! We soapers could find "perfection" in a recipe and still won't be able to resist tweaking!) The SAT/UNSAT is in good balance; the quality values are very acceptable; the INS value predicts a soap that will unmold/cut within 12-48 hours and cure in 4-6 weeks. Linoleic and Linolenic fatty acids are below 15. What's not to like?!

Last edited:
No I don't have the shea butter, but found the hemp at the health foods store in town. I didn't know shea was so hard to find. I liked the recipe because, shea soaps we get from the store are the only ones that my husband uses that don't give him bumps on his skin.
Try Walmart for shea butter. I found it on line but they may have it in a store near you.
I love hemp oil ... add some rosemary oleoresin extract (roe) as soon as you open it, and keep it sealed in the fridge and it will be good for up to a year
^^^^^ Ditto. I just used hemp that had been in my fridge for a year and it soaped fine. That hint of green makes pretty soap and its skin-loving qualities are worth it.

Latest posts

Back