~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At July Photo Entries~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > To Color or Not to Color Shampoo Soap

Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
cursivearts

Liked 97 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default To Color or Not to Color Shampoo Soap

I love making shampoo bars. It's one of the reasons I started soaping in the first place. I just wondered how many people here colored their shampoo and why or why not? I am thinking about putting thin layers of color in each of mine, but I'm not too sure about full-on coloration. Those of you that sell it, especially, what do you think?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
misskat22

Liked 110 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I think it would really depend on what your using to fragrance it with (EO V FO) or if you're leaving it unscented. I think if you're going unscented/EO then it might be nice to leave them uncoloured (for those people looking for the 'natural' ) and if you're using FO then have some fun with it and put some colour in. I wonder though if colour in a shampoo bar would have any effect on dyed hair? I'm not all that familiar with them..though I suppose it would be similar to using a coloured store-bought shampoo..wouldn't it?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Ruthie

Liked 739 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1718

It might depend on who is using it, too. Most of my "users" prefer their shampoo bars uncolored, though they do not mind color in other soaps.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
cursivearts

Liked 97 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Thanks, Ruthie. That's kind of what I was thinking.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
PrairieLights

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 168

This brings up a thought I had though. I sometimes use purple shampoo to tone down my red highlights (grr!!!). I was using our shampoo bar the other day and thought, "Hmmm... I wonder if I put purple mica in here, if I can use it in place of my purple shampoo?"
I am not brave enough to try it. I am too old for purple hair! I vote for someone else to try it and let me know.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
Obsidian

Liked 4357 Times on 2573 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I prefer uncolored shampoo bars. Rubbing colored bars on my hair just seems weird.

I don't think purple mica would tone hair but food color might if you used enough. It would have to be quite a lot. The purple shampoo I use it very pigmented

Old 08-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
soapmaker
Soapmaker

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I make, sell and use a shampoo bar. Just remember if you don't have soft water you will need a lemon or vinegar rinse often to prevent buildup. The shampoo bar is safe of color treated hair, the lemon or vinegar rinse is not.