Clear formula? Also, is this Vanilla legit?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayBoy

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm looking at this product which claims to be made with essential oils and bay leaves. From the graphic on their site, the product contains allspice, bay leaves, vanilla, clove and cinnamon. All those ingredients have darkening properties. One would think it would be a rich brown. Yet the product remains clear.

https://barberrycoast.com/products/b...rshave-for-men

How is it possible with all those ingredients for their product to remain clear?

----
On a related note, I've been looking for a legit option for adding a vanilla scent. This product claims to be "pure essential oil" yet it contains vanillin. And to my knowledge vanillin isn't immiscible in water or alcohol which my solution is primarily comprised of.

https://goo.gl/QBXAFa

https://goo.gl/QBXAFa

Looking forward to you insights/opinions.
icon_smile.gif

I don't think that aftershave is clear. If you look at the second picture, you can see that the bottle looks frosted with a dark substance inside.

You are right about vanilla essential oil, there is no such thing. There is vanilla absolute but it's expensive and I'm not sure if it's soap safe.

Thanks, Obsidian.

Yeah I found out it's actually a pale yellow.

I wonder what they use for their vanilla scent. They claim all natural ingredients, but vanilla absolute etc is so expensive.

Vanillin is one of the main molecules that's responsible for the scent of vanilla, and it can be synthesized. Often is, in fact, and is used as an alternative for vanilla for flavoring and fragrancing products.

Vanillin can be sourced from other cheaper things than vanilla beans and still be considered natural, I think I heard some sort of mold could be used.

Fun fact:
Vanillin is a chemikal that also can be extracted from wood, and it is 100% natural. Chemically there isn`t a big difference in the build up of the vanillin sourced from wood, than the vanillin from the orchid. The difference is that pure vanilla has hundreds other components in it, one of them of course being the actual vanillin. But the chemical build up of the vanillin from the vanillin in timber, and the vanillin in the vanilla pod is actually identical.

The vanillin from wood is not a petrochemichal, so if they - barberry people - used natural sourced vanillin from wood in their Bay Rum aftershave, they can claim it is natural, (but it ain`t no vanilla!)

If they had used vanillin in the aftershave, they may had gotten it from Norway, as we have been extracting vanillin from Norwegian wood for over 50 years (and doing other things with the timber that benefits the environment. It is called Green Chemistry).

Norway is the only country in the whole world to make 100% natural timber-based vanillin. Other manufacturers does indeed produce vanillin, but they are taking the petro-chemical route.

Btw - I share your puzzled reaction as to how the product is so ligt with that ingredients list, and they say it sits for 30 days to mature. But it may be such a diluted product (Purified water, alcohol, vegetable glycerin) that it may not have a lot of the spicy ingredients in there to make an impact on the color, just the fragrance? After all, those spices have to be kept at a skinsafe level, so the color maybe get a bit light. I have never in my life smelled Bay Rum, but it sounds delishious!

Fun fact:
I share your puzzled reaction as to how the product is so ligt

Hi MySoapyHeart -- thanks for your insights. That definitely clears things up so to speak.

I actually contacted the manufacturer and I believe you are correct. They said that since 2% is the standard maximum dilution, it's just very diluted. So it only has a light color.

Still wondering though if it's ethical/legal to say your product contains vanilla when it's really vanillin. I doubt they use real vanilla as it's so expensive. And probably overkill.

Fun fact:
I have never in my life smelled Bay Rum, but it sounds delishious!

Hopefully that can be rectified one day. Bay Rum is one of those masculine scents that can be loved by both men and women (some of us ladies are not above using it). I personally love spicy scents so I may be overly biased with it but Bay Rum is worth a sniff.

BayBoy said:
Still wondering though if it's ethical/legal to say your product contains vanilla when it's really vanillin. I doubt they use real vanilla as it's so expensive. And probably overkill.

I highly doubt they are using real vanilla since it's extremely expensive (even more than usual at the present time). Using vanillin and labeling it as vanilla is highly unethical in my book.

Hopefully that can be rectified one day. Bay Rum is one of those masculine scents that can be loved by both men and women (some of us ladies are not above using it). I personally love spicy scents so I may be overly biased with it but Bay Rum is worth a sniff.

I confess that I'm one of those ladies that's not above using it on myself from time to time, especially in the winter. It reminds me a lot of those cinnamon-y, clove-y scented pinecones that a plethora of stores offer up for sale around Christmastime.

IrishLass :)

Hi MySoapyHeart -- thanks for your insights. That definitely clears things up so to speak.
I actually contacted the manufacturer and I believe you are correct. They said that since 2% is the standard maximum dilution, it's just very diluted. So it only has a light color.

You are welcome (I saw what you did there... : P )

About the ethical thing; in my book absolutely not, in big, huge letters.

I would not ever advertize a vanillin product as the real deal. Smells like vanilla, tastes like vanilla? Check. Does that make it Vanilla absolute? Nope.

--No more than a man in a duck costume, imitating a duck, is the real deal.
No matter how great he is at speaking duck, he can flap his wings all he want all the living long day, that ain`t gonna make him fly...

I would at the very least assume that if they had in fact used the real Vanilla Absolute in that mix, they would have advertized it over the rooftops, because that would have made their product very exclusive.

They added a picture of vanilla beans in their images, but reading their information carefully you can see they are quite unsubstantial, or elusive when it comes to the vanilla their formulation. That makes me at least think they use vanillin.

Back