Soaping at room temperature?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galavanting Gifts

Reaction score
Has anyone soaped at room temperature? is there anything in particular I need to know?, it is very cold here so will that affect the process in any way?, sorry bout all the questions lol

I do RTCP most times lately. I get the lye and water going , get the oils going , if I have hard oils or cocoa butter I melt those(usually in microwave) and let them sit until the lye is cool. When I am ready to make the soap , I add the lye to the oil etc .I don't think the temp of your house will make any difference until your soap is in the mold, do you want to CPOP or wrap it or have ungelled etc.

HTH

Kitn

I too do RTCP, but I got lazy waiting for my lye to cool. So now I just add my oils, melt butters in microwave(if any) and then add my hot lye to my cool oils. I did find that this does speed trace a bit. Therefor it is great with 100% OO. I blend with a spoon to start to make sure that nothing gets ahead of me.

Good luck :D

kitn, I know I've been teasing you lately about the 'look' of your soap, but seriously it does seem to look different than everyone elses....I'm wondering if maybe it is because you do RTCP. Have you done any CP and 110 or so that you can compare them to?

kitkat_pro, do your soaps look smooth and glassy like kitn's?

After I have trimmed off the ash yes they look smooth and creamy and have a shine to them. I will post pics once I find my bloody camera :evil:

Dixie said:
kitn, I know I've been teasing you lately about the 'look' of your soap, but seriously it does seem to look different than everyone elses....I'm wondering if maybe it is because you do RTCP. Have you done any CP and 110 or so that you can compare them to?

kitkat_pro, do your soaps look smooth and glassy like kitn's?

I have Dixie , they look the same to me . The lavender planet soap (the gelled and ungelled are done regular CP. I probably torment the soap into submission ,m I have been know to play with the tops or the swirls for up to an hour , the soap just gives up. I have my share of duds too, I haven't looked ( cause I'm Skeered )but I am 99.99% sure I won the fugly soap contest. :shock:
Kitn

x

for my rtcp i usually prep 3-4 batches the night before. i mix the water & lye (i have 4-2 cup measuring cups) and melt the butters and oils in their mixing bowls. they sit on the counter until i soap the next morning. i've done it the same way-winter and summer, rain or shine.

my newest lesson i learned was that ungelled soap takes longer to harden before cutting! (a LOT longer!) i've changed my water discount from 33% to just about 45%.

if i gel then i usually use 33%.

if you oven process, PLEASE remember to set a timer to shut off the oven!

:roll: i forgot on my last batch and it "cooked" for almost 5 hours! the only reason i found out was after my husband fixed a snack for himself and came back to bed he asked "why is there soap in the oven?"

i flew out of bed thinking it would be all over the oven-it was okay, it was DEFINITELY gelled, and it turned out just fine. i was using a new honey f/o and it held beautifully inspite of me! :D

Latest posts

Back