Pricing: The Great Lye Quest

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imblebee

Reaction score
I've been calling chemical supply houses most of the afternoon to little avail. Once I say that I am an "end user" making soap they no longer want to sell to me. Perhaps they think I want to make the empire state building into my very own meth lab? I mean Jersey is chemical central... and they're not sellin'.

I did find one company that *might* be able to sell to me and it breaks down to $1.48/lb if I buy 55lbs.

So my question is, price wise what has been your best deal? I recall seeing that some lucky soul gets lye for $.30/lb! and another for $.60/lb...

I am also wondering what professions use caustic soda that I might be able to barter/buy from them. I know that some janitorial suppliers, roof washers and food manufacturing places use sodium hydroxide, know of anyone else?

Thank you!
:D

I must be a lucky soul. I get mine from a local chemical supply place and can get it for around .55/lb.
So you have a vendor/tax license? I had to have one to get my lye from this place. That might help when you say you need it for soap making, also let them know you have one(if you do) they may be more apt to sell if you can prove you are legit. :)

Oh I should add also that AAA Chemical sells it online as do a few other online soap suppliers.
HTH

I order mine online from AAA Chemicals in Texas. Brambleberry also sells it, as well as Snowdrift Farms.

IrishLass :)

I got mine from The Lye Guy out of Syracuse, NY. He has a special on. Buy 5 2 lb. cans and get one free. I got 12 lbs. for $36.35 including shiping.

I'm in Canada and so far have yet to go the chemical manufacture route, I am paying a markedup price at asoap supply store so if anyone knows a supplier I'd be glad to get the contact info.

I am in Canada too , paying way to much,I too would love to hear if there is a less expensive way to buy the lye.

Kitn

Kitn said:
I am in Canada too , paying way to much,I too would love to hear if there is a less expensive way to buy the lye.

Kitn

I'm in Canada and get mine at Home Hardware. They didn't have it in stock when I first went to buy it, but they special ordered it in for me and gave me a deal. I pay $18 for 3 kg of lye.

Back