How much to bring?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Southern California, at least where im selling, people turn their noses up at seeing lard on the ingredient label. I can explain the wonderful properties of lard in soap until I'm blue in the face, and they won't get it. So I point them to my M&P soaps, which are coconut oil based, and usually they will pick up a bar or two.

Now if I can just get around the FO vs EO conversation....
Very interesting, and very seldom have a person questioning Lard or tallow or complain about it. I sell anywhere from Harbor City, Norco, Pasadena and the folks do not complain. While most of my soaps are Tallow/Lard combo I also make Vegan Soaps for the few that prefer no animal fats.

Now if I can just get around the FO vs EO conversation....

This is another thing my customers never ask about. I think in the last 15 or so years I've been doing this I can count on 1 hand how many times I've been asked if my fragrances are "natural" or EO's... It's just something in my area that nobody really cares about. They just want a soap that will clean them and smell good while doing it.

To plan well you really need to know what the expected attendance will be. Since they have approx 200 vendors, it sounds like a big event. If they've been doing this show for a while, ask the event coordinator what the foot traffic attendance has been in the past. The gift giving time of year is coming up so many people go to craft fairs with that in mind.

A 6' x 30" table won't give you a lot of flat space so plan to add vertical display space. Not only will you be able to add more product, it adds a lot to visual interest. Use solid colors (table cloth, display items, etc) that won't detract from the soap since the soap bars can get visually sucked into a pattern. Zany's posted photo is an excellent example and isn't a large investment, money wise. It's also easy to pick up an inexpensive flat sheet at Walmart to use as a table cloth.

I just finished my biggest show of the year; our county fair. It's a 4 day event with approx 33,000 bodies through the gate. I took almost 500 bars of soap in about 50 scents and sold over of half my inventory. I always make various scent profiles so I have a bit of something for everyone; masculine, floral, fruity, clean, EO's only, and this time of year, holiday scents. I'm only giving you these numbers so you can roughly judge sales against attendance.

It's a good idea to make a bit of lotion. When people are buying as gifts, many like the combo of a bar and a lotion. You don't have to make a lot but choose the most popular scents (like lavender EO) and make a couple bottles. I usually pick a few of the floral and fruity scents since those seem to be the most popular scents people like in the combo.

Good luck and I hope it goes well!:)

Thank you Zany for remembering! I took a picture before people came in of my table. Is sitting in my phone, so I may post later.

I actually had lots of fun, the other vendors in my side of the house where super nice. I think I did good, at least compared to others. Sold 1/3 of my inventory! The lady next to me selling silk scarfs sold nothing :(

And I ask around on other areas, and some of the girls said that if you make your booth fee, you are doing good. I made 4x my booth, so I guess is not bad? I also had many people interested that took my card, so we shall see.

I also got a commission for a small painting, and I had no paintings for sell. So I guess that is a plus too!

Lots of work, and time consuming. The vendor parking was like 8 blocks from the place, and my feet are so tired.

I might do it again next year, but I think that will be the extend of my selling. I wish I could find a store or supplier. Not sure how to do that.

Great! Not only did you have fun, but you made some friends, sold some soap, got a commission for a painting -- and the best part, you had your first show!
Time for the Happy Soaper's Dance! happy-feet-penguin.gif

Oh, almost forgot your tired feet. Poor thing. I know that feeling. There's so much involved ahead of time, and during, that it really drains you. You might want to ask a friend to go along and help you next time? It's a lot to do alone.

Your wish for finding a place to sell your soaps is within reach... While resting up over the next few days, visualize likely shops/businesses to approach and just drop in and see if there's any interest. The worst that can happen is they say "No, thank you."

One soaper I know sold "Gardener's Soap" to a plant nursery near her home. Her labels had seeds enbedded in them.

Another soaper made soap for a few B and B's around town.

Several Colorado soapers sell wholesale all over the country. I'm happy making soap for one wholesale account in Mobile. You just hafta ask and one thing leads to another.

lol Thank you Zany. It would be more like a flamingo dance, not a penguin. Nearly 80 degrees today here. Can you believe it?

I did not go alone. My oldest son stayed with me the whole time, and did the heavy lifting. Not only that, I probably would have sold nothing if it was not for him. He sold my soaps like no one else!

There was another person selling soaps in the fair, however, all her stuff was made with only lavender (I think she grows it?). She had beautiful stuff, but her soaps were priced nearly double than mine, so I had people come back :mrgreen: And funny that her son (like 7 years old) had 5 dollars to spend, and he came and bought one of my bars that had a toy embed. His dad was talking about how much soap they had in the house already ...... (I know the feeling)

lol Thank you Zany. It would be more like a flamingo dance, not a penguin. Nearly 80 degrees today here. Can you believe it?

I did not go alone. My oldest son stayed with me the whole time, and did the heavy lifting. Not only that, I probably would have sold nothing if it was not for him. He sold my soaps like no one else!

There was another person selling soaps in the fair, however, all her stuff was made with only lavender (I think she grows it?). She had beautiful stuff, but her soaps were priced nearly double than mine, so I had people come back :mrgreen: And funny that her son (like 7 years old) had 5 dollars to spend, and he came and bought one of my bars that had a toy embed. His dad was talking about how much soap they had in the house already ...... (I know the feeling)
Congratulations on your market doing well for you. I am finding in my area, at least, sales are down approx 30% from last year.

As for the person having only lavender, I have never understood the thinking of having one type product, fragrance etc., it limits your market severely and is why I have many different formulas other than vegan with no palm other than a 100% OO. Eight blocks with no shuttle for vendors is to far for parking in my opinion.

Interesting. Then I probably did not do bad. Several people picked up early and left .... I also got good tips. Did not know about the free credit card thing, and another lady told me about to fairs that a farm place does that are free to join! And is like less than 10 miles from where I am now.

I was wondering about the left overs .... I will be giving quite a bit for Christmas, but if I save some for like Valentine sales, will it go bad? is only 2 to 3 months old. I know MP can last for a looong time, but not sure about CP.

If so should I take them out of the shrink wrap? What is your opinion on this? Thank you all.

I was wondering about the left overs .... I will be giving quite a bit for Christmas, but if I save some for like Valentine sales, will it go bad? is only 2 to 3 months old. I know MP can last for a looong time, but not sure about CP.

If so should I take them out of the shrink wrap? What is your opinion on this? Thank you all.

CP should be fine for the most part. I just store the same fragrance in those paper baseball card storage boxes and they last a really long time. I put them in my misfits container (discounted) when they start to lose their scent or if they get a little banged up. I use shrink bands. Sometimes just need to hit them a bit with the heat gun to shrink back up a little.

Thanks for asking Lin! I am still thinking. Only reason I would, is because the spot is so cheap. I mostly sold MP bars that kids were attracted to.

Personally, selling a couple of times a year and spending over a 100 for a spot, with all the raw materials one needs to buy, I do not think is worth it. Not sure, but I think most people just break even, unless they have a serious gig going on. Perhaps different states have different markets where is more viable. Where I live is not.

This is my PERSONAL opinion, on my personal experience. It could be different for others.

Last edited:
The idea of a citrus soap is a good one. Any type of orange/tangerine appeals to a lot of people. Also, something really clean like a water scent or light forest appeals to a lot. If you didn't sell it what would you give for Christmas? Planning what you want left is a good way to decide on scents.

If you haven't done fairs before take advantage of the fall and go as a shopper to as many as you can. You will learn a lot about displays. You can display your soap many ways and it really comes down to your preference. I see people with baskets on the table which really hide the fact that not a lot of soap is displayed; and the opposite with stacks a foot high.

Coming up with the amount of soap to take is difficult for any show that you have never done before. If the show has been around a long time then trying to talk to a previous vendor is good. You need to decide whether at the end of the show will you feel better about having 10 bars left and knowing you could have sold more or will you feel better that you sold more but have 200 bars to take home. Only you can decide.

I once was at a fair where a gentleman made really nice birdhouses. On Friday his booth looked great but he sold all of his product by Saturday. On Sunday he and his wife sat in rocking chairs in an empty booth and visited with everyone. He thoroughly enjoyed himself. I am sure that vendors around him thought he had missed the mark in not making more product but I don't think he looked at it that way. He made what he liked and it sold.

Have fun this fall and know you will have a great learning experience and maybe a change of heart about fairs.

Such a shame about lard... in many ways it is much better than other 'greases wether it be in soap or for eating'. Plan a booth that is quite full and have overstock. When you are wholesaling the game is different; you want a display that alows customers to imagine the product in their shop so give a little breathing room for the eye.

Back