Using canned coconut milk in place of water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Has anyone used full fat canned coconut milk in place of water in your recipe?

I use this stuff in cooking all the time (mmm, thai!) and it is soooo creamy and smells delicious. I have a coconut FO and I was wondering if I could use the coconut milk in place of the water in my recipe. Is it okay to use it all (I'm worried about seizing or overheating because of the sugar content) or should I mix it with a little bit of water (it is pretty thick and creamy).

Thanks!

x

hi there!

i use canned coconut milk instead of goatsmilk without any trouble, but i make rtcp semi-whipped soap. if you take a "peeky" at my winter solstice soap recipe you can see how i incorporate it.

i like to mix 1/2 of my liquid as aloe vera juice and mix it with the lye and stick it in the fridge- then after i mix that in, i add the f/o's and the goatsmilk orcoconut milk and pour into mold.

i haven't had it heat up on me, but i check it about every half hr or so, to begin with.

you may wish to use only 1/4 of the liquids as coconut milk, as it is very thick.

Yes, you can use coconut milk in place of the water in CP. But warning...you can burn it with the lye and your soap will turn dark.
I take Coconut milk and shake the can very well. Then I pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it. When you start mixing these for your lye\milk solution, it takes a longer time to get mixed.. Use only a few cubes at a time and sprinkle and "little" lye on them. Then stir, stir, stir, until they are melted well. Then add some more cubes and sprinkle a little more lye. Go back and forth until all is mixed. I then place this bowl into another bowl with ice cubes in it. FYI...this will be ungelled soap. I soap milk very cold and then freeze. It takes longer to make, cure and dry, but oh so wonderful...and they are a cream to deep cream in color.

Teresa

Back