What advice would you give to your beginning soaping self?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love threads like this. What a wealth of information!

I can only add- have lots of paper towels handy, for use during soaping, but also to wipe the batter off of everything before you actually wash it. Even better though, if it's possible, let the batter dry on all of your equipment (stick blender bowls, etc), so it turns into soap, then wash... fresh batter is a pain to wash (oily mess) and I don't think it's great on the ole pipes.

Document EVERYTHING.
It will save you lots of wondering "just what is in this wonderful soap?".
It will also save you from making soap on a stick more than once with that wonderful fragrance oil.
Some colors also morph and anything with vanilla will discolor.

Keep records of everything.

Did I say to document everything already?

I started out with molds that did not require lining. But my hubby recently made me a wooden mold, so I had to learn how. I watched this video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHajJtHj4g[/ame]

And I wondered why everyone complains about lining molds. It is not difficult. Just takes a little time. And I made several liners at one time once I figured out that it works, so I have some ready to go.

This is such a helpful thread with tons of great hints!

I've learned to wear gloves and goggles while measuring EO/FO, as splatters and spills happen (the stoppers in Bulk Apothecary oils specifically send a spray when yanked out).

I've also learned to give myself at least 90 minutes from start to finish for soaping, unless I've masterbatched the lye and am only using a few oils.

I love natural colors and herbal additives but have learned that these are the hardest to "control" and replicate. One batch of Alkanet-infused soap is a gorgeous blue-purple but the next, following the same recipe and technique, is a dingy gray. It's weird.

The thing I've learned and need to follow is, learn how to make a decent bar of soap before going on to fragrance, swirls , and other fancy stuff. I have to keep telling myself this, and have to resist the temptation. There are probably very few people that can do it "right out of the gate". And I agree with the others that say to save your recipes !! Timm .........

I agree ..... if I take too long weighing, my scale will shut down, so I started weighing and marking my containers ....

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing I've learned and need to follow is, learn how to make a decent bar of soap before going on to fragrance, swirls , and other fancy stuff. I have to keep telling myself this, and have to resist the temptation. There are probably very few people that can do it "right out of the gate". And I agree with the others that say to save your recipes !! Timm .........

I think there are multiple reasons for this actually. For me, the most important is that by doing this, you focus on your technique and your recipes, so that you have a strong foundation for soapmaking. I always say that I doubt anyone gets into soapmaking because store bought soap just isn't pretty enough. We do it to have better soap. Better ingredients, less junk. Once you develop a recipe that you really love, and can make a successful batch of soap over and over again, then it's fun to explore all the many different possibilities for color and design. A pretty bar of handmade soap is no better than a bar of store bought soap if it isn't great soap to begin with. At least, that's my two cents worth. :)

BUMP! I'm bumping this cuz it's such a good thread for Newbies to read... as well as a nostalgia buzz for us oldies but goodies! :)

The things people shared on this thread helped me so much. And sometimes when I soap I suddenly realize, "Oh crap! That's why they recommended that!!"

Like the other night.. When I was reminded about why long sleeves could be a soaping hazard!! :eek:

If you feel utterly fumble-fingered, lots of little things are going wrong, and you are getting increasingly annoyed or impatient, try to stop before adding the lye to the fats and take a break. Sip a glass of water, put some calming music on, step outside for a breath of air -- whatever works for you to get focused and calm. If you can go back to soaping with a clear head, things will go much better.

When you buy supplies to make a specific soap, then put your fingers in neutral and don't order more supplies to make something else until you follow through on making the first one.

This is a serious condition that plagues some of us soapers and is a sure sign that most of your surplus supplies will be deeply discounted and sold off in a DeStash event in the distant future as your soaping cupboard swells and overflows into other places and spaces in your once peacefully uncluttered home. :mrgreen:

Cleansing oils are overated (except in Laundry soap) :). Soap will clean you whether it has Coconut/PKO or not. It will bubble, definitely not as much as a soap with Coconut/PKO but then bubbles do not get you clean anyways. So yea.......

I think my advice to my beginning soaping self (all of four whole months ago!!) would be not to mess about with trying to make my own mold liners. Just buy silicone molds right off the bat and build the boxes for them if needed.

Also- You REALLY don't need a pound each of all those botanicals and mineral pigments. Really. One or two ounces of each is plenty. You don't realize just how much a pound really is... especially of something fluffy, like AC.

I think my advice to my beginning soaping self (all of four whole months ago!!) would be not to mess about with trying to make my own mold liners.

Ive tried twice to make liners, and failed both times. Soap leaked out and I had to chip it off the mold. Plastic bags line the mold adequately and very easily, leaving a "textured" finish on the soap. Does cling wrap work as a mold liner? I've wondered that a few times.

Ive tried twice to make liners, and failed both times. Soap leaked out and I had to chip it off the mold. Plastic bags line the mold adequately and very easily, leaving a "textured" finish on the soap. Does cling wrap work as a mold liner? I've wondered that a few times.

I know at least one brand of cling wrap will be eaten by lye, can't remember if it's Glad or Saran.

So much wisdom here. Thank you. To my beginning soaping self: don't buy stuff just because it's cheap and on sale hoping you'll need it 'some day'. Then 12 months later you're still stuck with so many tiny jars and bottles you may never use. Ditto with oils and botanicals. [emoji848]

I know at least one brand of cling wrap will be eaten by lye, can't remember if it's Glad or Saran.

Saran wrap used to be made of polyvinylidene chloride (a relative of PVC) and I'd avoid that. I gather it's polyethylene nowadays, and that should be fine.

Glad wrap, if I remember right, is also polyethylene film.

I hear that the press and stick wrap -- the stuff with the adhesive -- is not a good idea for lining molds. Haven't tried that myself to verify, so take it FWIW.

I can certainly relate to a lot that's been said already, and though I'm still a beginner, I think I can add this: Join a soapmaking forum and read, read, read, before you ever make a batch! Even though I'm still at a fumbling stage, it is always pleasant to see that every time something goes wrong I can immediately call to mind something I've heard or read someone say about it, and it helps me not to freak out and a lot of times has saved the day.

It's good to read everything ever written online, but right off the bat, join an organized, helpful group of soap enthusiasts like yourself... I wish I had!

Back