Share your favourite recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Zany_in_CO My fave has been FOUND! Made šŸ§¼ with holy trinity combo for years until introduced to a SAP chart during soap coloring class. Went crayšŸ˜œ cray making own formulas & so so much ā€œto be grated 4 confettiā€ soap. Then I found ZNSC (link ā¬‡) while reading SMF. Made using her tweak.
AB Fab! :dance: Cannot say how MUCH I love this šŸ§¼ āœØI MAY still play around with ā€œformulaā€ bar but honestly donā€™t know why I should. Just had a meeting with friend about Christmas crafts & what weā€™re doing. You guessed it, a BIG OLā€™ Batch of ZNSB thatā€™s what!

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/

Last edited:
This bar came out so nice I had to share....
16 OZ OO
10 OZ CO
6OZ PO
2 OZ Shea
9 OZ Sloshy frozen buttermilk
4.6 OZ Lye
1 C Oatmeal, ground.
1 Tbspl Honey
Cucumber melon FO
110*

I mix lye and buttermilk in an ice bath and whisk often, soap at 110*.
I molded in a round mold.
What can I do for an alternative to buttermilk ? Also is it possible to add hemp to this recipe ?

What can I do for an alternative to buttermilk ? Also is it possible to add hemp to this recipe ?
You can change out any oil in any recipe. The key is to put the new recipe through the soap calculator.

Why? Because the SAP value of the oil you subbed in is probably not going to be the same as the SAP value of the oil you subbed out, meaning that the correct amount of lye is going to change, too.

I love milk so here goes. Now I make in very small batches. Use coconut cream in place of your water. Then at trace add some cow cream. I just love the way all this cream adds silkiness and lather. Sometimes I throw in a little honey at trace too. Try it! I use lots of different oils. My recipe is 2 cups of oil. 4 ounces of lye 2 cups of liquid. I have used this formula to make all different types of soaps. This is perfect for folks that dont want to make a lifetime supply of soap in one sitting. Happy Soaping!
Iā€™m new to Soapmaking, and Iā€™m a little frustrated at the moment. Can someone help me with a recipe that will possibly provide a little success. Iā€™m ready for a batch that sets appropriately. I would be so thankful!

Thanks,

Geaux Soap

Iā€™m new to Soapmaking, and Iā€™m a little frustrated at the moment. Can someone help me with a recipe that will possibly provide a little success. Iā€™m ready for a batch that sets appropriately. I would be so thankful!

Thanks,

Geaux Soap
You might be better off starting your own thread

Thanks,

Geaux Soap
As mentioned above, you can start a new thread, perhaps with a the new member introduction? To get the best recommendations, add any oils you want to use or donā€™t want to use. Are you familiar with a lye calculator? Everyone has their favorites, I like soapcalc Getting Started with homemade soap.

If you are OK with animal fats, I would try a lard heavy batch. Lard is a favorite fat among soapmakers because it suits most skin types, is very easy to soap with (slow tracer), is cheap, makes a nice hard, lightish bar, just a great ingredient. I usually use between 60-65% lard, 20% coconut oil, 5% castor, and avocado oil for the balance. If you are new just those fats are a good place to start. You should order the castor oil on line (I get mine from Nature's Garden) because it's expensive otherwise, but you can get lard at Walmart and many other grocery stores for a couple of bucks a lb. I get my coconut oil and avocado oil at Costco.

Start with small 1 lb batches and run them through a calculator, as @Tammyfarms suggests; like her, I use soapcalc. A recipe like this really is the most cost effective way to get familiar with the process while making a good and uncomplicated batch. Then start to add in fragrance, colorants, additives.

If you are OK with animal fats, I would try a lard heavy batch. Lard is a favorite fat among soapmakers because it suits most skin types, is very easy to soap with (slow tracer), is cheap, makes a nice hard, lightish bar, just a great ingredient. I usually use between 60-65% lard, 20% coconut oil, 5% castor, and avocado oil for the balance. If you are new just those fats are a good place to start. You should order the castor oil on line (I get mine from Nature's Garden) because it's expensive otherwise, but you can get lard at Walmart and many other grocery stores for a couple of bucks a lb. I get my coconut oil and avocado oil at Costco.

Start with small 1 lb batches and run them through a calculator, as @Tammyfarms suggests; like her, I use soapcalc. A recipe like this really is the most cost effective way to get familiar with the process while making a good and uncomplicated batch. Then start to add in fragrance, colorants, additives.
Definitely get the castor oil by the gallon on line. Will last a long time. The grocery store $2 an ounce castor oil was killing me! I got my gallon from amazon.

Oats & Honey Soap Recipe

Oats & Honey Soap
4.5 ounces Coconut oil
2.5 ounces Palm oil
9 ounces Olive oil
2.3 ounces lye
6.4 ounces water
AT TRACE ADD
1 teaspoon almond oil
1/8 cup finely ground oatmeal
1 teaspoon warm honey

I make this in a blender. Comes out nice.

Steve
www.colebrothers.com/soap
Gosh wish I'd.seen.this forum.earlier.just made my first ever batch of soap and went with honey and oat I'm now stressing about gel phase have wrapped it in a towel but not sure how long I need to keep the towel on ? Any advice pls ?

Gosh wish I'd.seen.this forum.earlier.just made my first ever batch of soap and went with honey and oat I'm now stressing about gel phase have wrapped it in a towel but not sure how long I need to keep the towel on ? Any advice pls ?
Recommend you start a new thread, perhaps in the new member introduction area and ask this question.
Iā€™m sorry I canā€™t help as I havenā€™t used honey, and honey can overheat. I have been making soap for a while but this is out of my wheelhouse and donā€™t want to give you bad information.

Back