The Clean-Up: How to properly clean Lye container for reuse?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
How do you clean the container you mixed lye and water in safely and properly so that the container can be reused?

I just rinse it really well with warm water and let air dry. If I've used liquid beside water, I'll wash with dish soap.

I heard neutralizing the lye in the container by adding vinegar helps, then washing it off regularly afterwards. Does that really help?

I think I'm just overly paranoid. You guys just say rinse and dry I thought it would be a complicated process haha

I heard neutralizing the lye in the container by adding vinegar helps, then washing it off regularly afterwards. Does that really help?

I think I'm just overly paranoid. You guys just say rinse and dry I thought it would be a complicated process haha

We are saying to rinse and wash. Even rinsing in hot water will work. However, I find the soap helps with any greasiness. As for vinegar, it's really not necessary. I do use vinegar on occasion to clean my counters but not because of soapmaking.

Yes, and wash of course!

Thank you so much! I'm less scared to wash my materials now haha. Thank you thank you!

I rinse then wash and dry. Vinegar will cause an exothermic response and heat everything up really, really, REALLY fast. So probably not such a good idea.

Will any soap stuff that perhaps got on counters or floors damage them. Do I need to use vinegar on areas that got dirty?

Sodium hydroxide doesn't leave a residue behind if you use a suitable container. If there happens to be any lye left behind in a crack or pit or something, it reacts pretty quickly with carbon dioxide in the air to form soda ash. Just rinse well and let dry. If the container is greasy, wash it. If rinsing with vinegar after a water rinse makes you feel better, by all means do it, but it's not necessary.

Seeing as how lye solutions have traditionally been used a cleanser for many years, I do as DeeAnna does. I just rinse my container with plain water, set it in the drain to dry, and call it done.

IrishLass :)

Put me on the plain hot water train..and I dont put in dishwasher with detergent..it can leave floaties behind in my lye container..rinsing with just hot water is plenty fine :)

Back