Using Latex Gloves

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemontongue

Reaction score
If I work with latex gloves while making and cutting my soap, would someone with a latex allergy have a reaction to the soap when it is used? I'm just looking for glove choices and I favor latex personally.

Oh dear!! I've never used the general "latex glove" just because I have no idea how it would react to lye. I always use those big-ass yellow kitchen gloves you can find in the cleaning section of any supermarket. Mostly because they're a solution to almost any chemical you can possibly be using. But, also because they're long enough to use, so they go up to your arm. I also have a husband who's a welder, so I use a particle filtering mask that he brings home from work, so I definitely don't breathe the fumes as well.

The kitchen gloves that I use are latex. I like the ones that give a tighter fit to the hand because I have more precision with my hand that way.

No, if a person was that allergic to latex (that your glove touching the soap would give them a reaction), they would not be able to survive in our society. Latex is used everywhere. I agree with lotus that the heavier gloves offer more protection, but the latex ones are better than nothing.

Thanks for the answer! I wasn't sure what to think when this question crossed my mind but thought I would ask it anyway :D

Why don't you use heavy latex gloves until you pour the soap and then use disposable vinyl gloves when cutting and handling the soap bars. I buy the disposable vinyl gloves in a big box in the pharmacy section of the grocery store or Walmart. They feel the same to me and then no worries.

Last edited:
Hey! By the way. I know I'm not crazy, from time to time, it is possible that we actually get an "unsoapy," lye-heavy, whatever it may be on our fingers and no amount of soap and water will get it off.

Tyler Durden from Fight Club won't steer you wrong. Vinegar actually does neutralize it, and gets it off. In case anyone's curious. : )

BTW, the latex gloves are great for gardening. :smile: Keep those fingers clean yet you can still feel to pull the smallest weeds. Of course, then you don't get to use your scrubbie gardener's soap. :(

BTW, the latex gloves are great for gardening. :smile: Keep those fingers clean yet you can still feel to pull the smallest weeds. Of course, then you don't get to use your scrubbie gardener's soap. :(

Hehe, you can still use the gardner's soap to wash off the sweaty hand feel, to wash the dirty knees of your pants, your feet if you were like I was sometimes and just wore my sandals (not a good idea), your face from the dirt you smudged up there when you wiped a sweat bead, I could go on! :lol::crazy:

Latest posts

Back