How long should CP soap last?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I bought quite a few bars of cp soap from a youtube seller as everyone seems to rave about the soaps. When I got the soap, i cut them in half and kept them in a drawer. I just opened the drawer and saw that the soaps are starting to turn soft and gel like on the area where I cut them. And there's spot which I assume are dos.

How long should cp soap last? Cos I bought this soaps no more than 2 months ago. And what could be causing that soft sticky gel type thing to happen? it's very weird.

Are you sure it's CP? And what room are they in? Humidity might do that. But even in a very humid bathroom, none of mine are doing that, so I think it's not normal in any case.

Just to make sure I understand: they started to soften/gel only around the area you cut them and the outer surface is relatively ok (except for that dos) ?

That sounds weird, meaning that the soap behaves differently on the inside than on the outside.

Can you buy stuff on youtube ? That's new to me ...

Fragola said:
Just to make sure I understand: they started to soften/gel only around the area you cut them and the outer surface is relatively ok (except for that dos) ?

That sounds weird, meaning that the soap behaves differently on the inside than on the outside.

Can you buy stuff on youtube ? That's new to me ...

No, but many sellers have vids on U Tube that advertise their websites etc...

Has it got an ingredients listing with it? I would like my purchased soap to last at least a year.

ETA: I've only ever bought one lady's soap and it's lasted well over a year although the scent has faded. I was happy with the soap. :wink:

glassdoll said:
How long should cp soap last? Cos I bought this soaps no more than 2 months ago. And what could be causing that soft sticky gel type thing to happen? it's very weird.

Properly made and cured, they should last a lot longer than 2 months. I have bars that I saved from batches that I made at least 4 or 5 years ago that are still as fresh as a daisy. The scent may have faded some, but the bars are still lovely.

As Bubbles Galore asked- does it have ingredients with it? Does the soap seller have a website with any info on her soaps (other than testimonials which can be easily faked)?

IrishLass :)

I still have my mother's soap that's at least 10 years old and it's fine. Is your soap MP? CP soap should not get soft like that.

Its soft and gel like at the area where i cut it, and it's pretty sticky all over. Her ingredient list just states CO, OO, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Mineral Water, NaOH, Fragrance Oil.

I store the soaps in my study, and was pretty surprised when I realised it's become so soft and sticky with DOS.

Someone smarter than me chime in - I wonder what kind of minerals are in the mineral water, if that would affect it?

the soft gell stuff in the middle could be 'cos it hasnt cured for long enough - but it would have been there when you cut it and should improve over time - Still bad practice.

Sticky all over is strange, I havent heard of that before, the oils used seem pretty stable.

I wonder if she hasnt cured for long enough and the water is evaporating without proper ventilation i.e your draw and has caused sticky DOS soap?

Could the sticky be caused by glycerin attracting water?

A well made bar of soap will last on the shelf many many years. I have soap I made 6 years ago. The fragrance has faded a bit, color isn't as vibrant, but it is hard without any stickiness or dos.

Back