How long before I cut soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber1111

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap last night. This is only my 2nd batch and I'm hoping I got better at swirling it than my first batch, so I'm anxious to cut it and see how it looks. How long do I have to wait? I waited 2 days with my last batch and it was fine but I was wondering if I could cut this one tonight without it messing something up? How do you know when it's ok to cut?

Thanks!

depends on if it gelled. If it did gell it will harden WAY quicker and be ready to cut.

You could always do a tester cut? I cut way to early - I can never wait to see how my soap turns out. I usually regret it later though, your finished product will look much nicer if its pretty hard when cut.

I usually cut anything between 15 - 20 hrs and GM soaps about 24 hrs.

I normally try to avoid gel, and still mine are ready to cut after 1 day. I do use a cheese slicing wire to cut mine though, because it works so much better than a knife.

I wait till the soap is dry enough to handle without it getting dented. Anywhere from 12hours to 3 days depending on the recipe.

Latest posts

Back