Do different calculator give different numbers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony0327

Reaction score
Greetings,

So I have been messing around with some soap calculators and have been inputting one recipe in both, soapcalc.com, soap queens and thesage. I know that thesage gives you a suggested amount for the water and not a precise amount. But with soap calc and soap queens I have been putting in the same batch weight, percents and super fat but each of them is giving slightly different numbers.

Thanks,
Anthony

Screenshot_27.png

Screenshot_28.png

The sap values of oils, how much lye is needed to saponify it, are also averages. From bottle to bottle, batch to batch of a certain oil, even the same brand, the exact sap value will vary slightly. So each calculator has to have a figure in there and they can of course have a slightly different one from the next calc.

This is interesting, I see that according to both recipes the difference ends up being 5% and 6% superfat according to the chart on the bottom one. Not sure if that is anything important. (Newbie here too) So the calculators are kind of averaging things out a bit to cover batch variances? The superfat isn't that the excess oil that is not saponified, therefore provides the moisturizing?

This is interesting, I see that according to both recipes the difference ends up being 5% and 6% superfat according to the chart on the bottom one. Not sure if that is anything important. (Newbie here too) So the calculators are kind of averaging things out a bit to cover batch variances? The superfat isn't that the excess oil that is not saponified, therefore provides the moisturizing?

SAP numbers are not exact and are in ranges themselves. Calculators take this into consideration, and some may use 1 sap number in that range whereas another calculator will use a different sap number in the range. This is what gives you your lye amount. Which will determine your SF amount.

Excess oil in a soap (unsaponified oils) will not necessarily moisturize. Soap in it's nature will never be "moisturizing" - but depending on the oils used and superfat %, it will be less stripping, because homemade soap will not strip your skin of the natural oils your body produces. That's why homemade soaps are desired and seem more "moisturizing" than typical syndet bars that strip the natural oils from you skin.

The superfat is the leftover oil that is not saponified (turned into soap). Soap is a cleansing product so it is debatable how much of that oil is left on your skin. Perhaps it makes soap less drying b/c some of the soap's cleansing power is used up on that oil?

The do vary a bit. For example, on one chart I looked at, Apricot Kernel Oil had a sap value of .134. Now, if that was rounded it would be .13. But if somebody else calculates the value at .135 and rounds, that ends up being .14.

The short answer is yes.

I use a spreadsheet that I put together and the SAP values that I use in that spreadsheet are "safe". Meaning that using the SAP values will produce a soap that has a small super fat even when set at 0.

It's really all about producing a safe to use product.

Most folks can't tell the difference between a 3% SF and a 7% SF ( some can). BUT if the SF is negative ( lye heavy soap) everybody is going to know.

SAP numbers are not exact and are in ranges themselves. Calculators take this into consideration, and some may use 1 sap number in that range whereas another calculator will use a different sap number in the range. This is what gives you your lye amount. Which will determine your SF amount.

Excess oil in a soap (unsaponified oils) will not necessarily moisturize. Soap in it's nature will never be "moisturizing" - but depending on the oils used and superfat %, it will be less stripping, because homemade soap will not strip your skin of the natural oils your body produces. That's why homemade soaps are desired and seem more "moisturizing" than typical syndet bars that strip the natural oils from you skin.

Hi, I'm sorry seemed to have hijacked the thread :/ First of all thank you everyone for getting me set straight. :) I learn so much here.

Ok I understand about the calculator, however you just said

"it will be less stripping, because homemade soap will not strip your skin of the natural oils your body produces."

" I assume that is based on the oils being used, I just read a thread earlier about acne and using coconut oil, which ended up stripping to much natural oil, which threw her acne and oil into overdrive. I do in general agree that homemade soap is much better than what is in the store though.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I was totally in left field with it and totally misconceived. "Excess oil in a soap (unsaponified oils) will not necessarily moisturize. Soap in it's nature will never be "moisturizing" :bunny:

Latest posts

Back