~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > Your favorite gloves and respirator

Old 09-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #31
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 927 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Yes, I know the #2 HDPE is safe. That's why I got it. I meant more that thanks to the mistakes of others, I won't ever make the mistake of using PETE (or PET) plastics with lye (or glass or aluminum).

Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #32
jcandleattic

Liked 476 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
Yes, I know the #2 HDPE is safe. That's why I got it. I meant more that thanks to the mistakes of others, I won't ever make the mistake of using PETE (or PET) plastics with lye (or glass or aluminum).
Ah, gotcha!

Old 09-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #33
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2313 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

I use nitrile gloves as well. I have used heavy duty dishwashing gloves in a pinch when I didn't have any nitrile gloves at the ready, but the inability to feel what I'm doing through them makes it seem really unsafe.

If you are worried about getting a hole in the gloves, double-glove. It's what nurses and doctors do in some situations to prevent contamination should a hole develop in a single glove. The lye has never made a hole in my gloves. My FINGERNAILS have, but not the lye. So take-away: Trim your nails to fairly short while wearing gloves.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #34
bathgeek

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My respirator: Safety Works 817662 Paint and Pesticide Respirator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XAIGY..._wWRAbA4qdf1Ne

My apron: Melby Outdoor Products HD-APRON Heavy Duty All Purpose Apron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BI1GPSA..._IneSHWk5VYdTG

My gloves: Double One Chemical Resistant Gloves,Safety Work Cleaning Protective Heavy Duty Industrial Gloves,Natural Latex 12.2" Length Black 1 Pair Size M (Medi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MD0ZFQD..._rqEd3LQMUSzon

Old 10-01-2017, 05:40 AM   #35
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 756 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 2963

I snitch face masks from the clinic I go to for Dr.'s appointments.
I wear a La Bola apron from when one of our son's worked there. I don't know what the fabric is... sorta polyester canvas? Wears like iron. Washes up like new. Comfortable. It's maybe 30 years old?
In 13 years of soaping, I'm on my second pair of these gloves from MMS:
https://www.thesage.com/catalog/EquipmentandScales.html
If you scroll down that page, past the gloves, there's a soaping spoon that's one of my favorite pieces of equipment -- still going strong after all these years. The long handle is especially great for mixing lye and soap batter by hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator9 View Post
... here's what works for me...I hold my breath while I pour the lye into the water, and stir...and then I walk away. I wait about 10 minutes and when I go back, the fumes have dissipated, and the water is clear. I do however wear a particle mask whenever dealing with mica, which can easily become airborne, and be inhaled.
This is similar to how I mix my lye. I have a wooden cutting board next to the kitchen sink. I place my scale on it. Weigh water into the container and set it in the sink. I weigh the NaOH or KOH into a container and turn my head so as to not breathe in the fumes. I give a few stirs, set the timer and walk away. I step outside or go to another room. After a minute, I come back and stir until it's clear. I leave it in the sink to cool down.

Note to Kittish: Take good care with HDPE #2 containers. Mine crumpled a couple of weeks ago when the solution went over 190F (max, which I didn't know at that time. Thanks, Irish. ) while making a 50/50 water/glycerin solution that went to 210F +. Then, more recently, two more repurposed HDPE #2 former NaOH containers leached plastic into the lye solution @ 180F. Point being, IME, HDPE #2 degrades faster than Pyrex. I make small batches and I love my Pyrex. (I'm not recommending that anyone use glass/Pyrex. I'm not a scientist; I just know what works for me.)

Old 10-01-2017, 05:49 AM   #36
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8145 Times on 3904 Posts
Likes Given: 3789

Then use a better condition than "ime" - not everyone understands that, but everyone needs to understand that you have been lucky to date when it comes to glassware and lye solution

Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #37
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 927 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Do appreciate the heads up about temperature, Zany. I'll be mixing my masterbatch solution in a great big stainless steel pot, then letting it cool to room temp or just barely warm before transferring to the storage jug.