Swirling techniques with 100% coconut oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunRiseArts

Reaction score
Anyone has any experience with this?

I made a 100 % coconut salt bar for Christmas. I did a little drop, it looks nice,

But how about other techniques? Hanger swirls, etc? Anyone has any experience? Would it work nicely?

Last edited:
You can get a pretty cool, translucent/opaque look with swirls in a 100% CO soap (as long as it gels and as long as you don't use TD in the main body of batter):

IMG_5428JasmineYinHao640.JPG

In case you are wondering, the soap on the dish is from the same batch, only no swirling color was added to that portion of the batter, and unlike the 2 swirled bars, I poured it into an individual 3-D mold and prevented it from gelling.

IrishLass :)

My bars from the last challenge were salt bars.

I hand stirred with heat transfer method and layered them. There was some dropping between the layers but I also added weight to the batter with each color change. Bottom layer was straight co, second layer was salt and mica, third layer added some jojoba beads. I don't remember where but I also added glitter.

The batter was very loose with hand stirring. My last bars were stick blended and moved much faster

IMG_0621.JPG

Awesome! Thanks? Why the gel is necessary?

Ditto what Penelopejane said- if you don't gel, you won't get the translucency. It will be as opaque as the soap on the dish in my above picture.

Oops- I just noticed you were talking about 100% CO salt bars. For some reason, my mind did not pick up on the 'salt bar' in your post. That's what I get for posting late at night. :lol: The pic I posted was of a 100% CO bar without salt. If I had added salt to it, it would not have ended up translucent even if gelled, so you can pretty much ignore my above post (unless you fancy making a 100% CO soap without salt, that is. ;) )

IrishLass :)

Layers, itp and simple drop swirls is all I've ever done. Usually I single color my salt bars because I tend to be a glutton for punishment and use heating or accelerating fo's in them.

As for IL's 100% co soap - there's a similar effect with a gelled high co and oo recipe. What I find so fascinating is the colored drop swirl isn't as soluble as the rest of the bar and it melts away very unevenly. Close your eyes and you can easily trace the colored part with your finger. I just don't know why it does that....

Back