My cp soap is too soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie743

Reaction score
After unmolding my cp soap two weeks ago, it is still very soft, almost like putty. Will the bars ever harden up? What caused this? I let the temp on the water/lye and oils cool to about 90 before mixing and don't know if this caused the softness.

What was your recipe? Your superfat? Did the soap gel?

If you used a lot of soft oils it takes longer to harden, but 2 weeks seems like a long time.

I've had batches take a month+ to get hard. Its usually due to not enough hard oils or using too much water. I have a batch that is nearly two weeks old and its still quite soft from too much water.

Last edited:
I do use a lot of soft oils but used about 50% hard oils. The batch did not go thru gel since the temp was too low. I superfat at 6%

I agree with Obi. With 50% hard oils, I'd lean towards saying your water was a little too high. It'll just take a while longer to cure.

castor oil 2.5 oz, cocoa butter 3 oz, lard 3 oz, olive oil 20 oz, palm oil 3 oz, sunflower seed oil 8 oz, sweet almond oil 1 oz, lye 5.152 oz, 6.6 coconut milk and 6.6 water is the recipe.

castor oil 2.5 oz, cocoa butter 3 oz, lard 3 oz, olive oil 20 oz, palm oil 3 oz, sunflower seed oil 8 oz, sweet almond oil 1 oz, lye 5.152 oz, 6.6 coconut milk and 6.6 water is the recipe.

When they say hard oils, it has more to do with the amounts of the oils , not necessarily just that you split them up. You have a real high percent of softer oils, water looks pretty good. Just gonna take a longer time to harden up.

Might want to look at some more hard oil, coconut , palm kernal. etc

Last edited:
Hi Marie, your hard oils (palm, CB, & lard) only add to 9% of your total oils, so that by itself will produce a softer bar. You do have a little bit of a water reduction (~34% of oils), which does serve to harden the bars relative to bars with full water (38% of oils), so that was a good. But the low amount of soft oils and only a slight water reduction will still produce a pretty soft bar. Soapcalc.net rates your recipe at a hardness of 21 or 22 (depending on whether you used high oleic sunflower or not), whereas it recommends values between 29 and 54. It'll dry eventually, so just be patient.

In the meantime, try increasing your hard oils so that they total closer to half of your recipe. To get there, you can use almost as much lard and palm as you want, but don't go over about 10% on the CB to prevent killing the lather too much. Or, if you like your recipe in other aspects beyond the softness, you can decrease the amount of water/water substitutes that you use. I like using only twice as much water as I do lye if I am not working with colorants. To do this, choose the "water:lye" option in your lye calc, and plug in the value "2:1".

ETA: Soapcalc won't show the effect of your water reduction in the "Hardness" rating, but it will reflect in the actual hardness of the bars.

Last edited:
What do you mean "don't go over 10% of the cp"? You said use as much lard and palm as I want. Is SoapCalc a better lye calculator than the one on brambleberry? Thanks for all your help.

What do you mean "don't go over 10% of the cp"? You said use as much lard and palm as I want. Is SoapCalc a better lye calculator than the one on brambleberry? Thanks for all your help.

She means don't go over 10% coca butter in your recipe.
I don't think one lye calc is really better than another, it's just SoapCalc is probably the most popular here 'bouts. A note on lye calculators - they will all return different results to a small degree. this is because sap values for any given oil is an average, but they should all be safe to use.

Thank you so much for all your help. I just tried out soapcalc and is it really useful. I can see my categories of softness, cleaness etc that I really like.

They should give similar results, but the user experience varies. Personally I prefer soap calc.

While you can use any % of palm or lard, butters can reduce lather and so should be kept lower, such as 10% cocoa butter or it can cause issues.

You or someone mentioned to use 2:1 ration of water to lye if not using colorants. I always use colorants, so what ratio should I use?

Latest posts

Back