~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Letting your customers do the curing - thoughts?

Old 06-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #51
dillsandwitch

Liked 309 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I dont let any soap leave my racks till its been cured for at least 8 weeks or longer. Old soap is good soap.

I have told DH that I dont want any lard for my birthday this year as I still have lard soap left over from 3 years ago. He usually gets me a couple of KGs of lard each year, mainly cause its so expensive here and I usually dont use it. I have to hide the lard soap when family comes to visit cause I wanna keep it all to myself. hahahaha

People Like This 
Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #52
cherrycoke216

Liked 394 Times on 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsandwitch View Post
I dont let any soap leave my racks till its been cured for at least 8 weeks or longer. Old soap is good soap.

I have told DH that I dont want any lard for my birthday this year as I still have lard soap left over from 3 years ago. He usually gets me a couple of KGs of lard each year, mainly cause its so expensive here and I usually dont use it. I have to hide the lard soap when family comes to visit cause I wanna keep it all to myself. hahahaha

Mm...thoughtful husband know how great lardy lard is!

Do you want to venture into rendering lard yourself? Haha...extra labor for extreme luxury soaping oil.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:19 AM   #53
Roxyjames3

Likes Given: 2

I shrink wrap my soaps when I ship. Can soap "cure" if its shrink wrapped or do I need to let them stay on the racks unwrapped for proper curing? Just asking because I can store easier if I can wrap them instead of having racks all over my garage.

I would also NEVER send an uncured bar of soap. Heck I can barely trust myself not to use it too soon....the smells are awesome. I have the best smelling garage on my block!!

Old 06-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #54
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6850 Times on 3467 Posts
Likes Given: 4492

It's best to leave them unwrapped for a proper cure so that the excess water can evaporate out, which helps the soap to be able to form a good internal crystalline structure, which helps to improve it's lathering properties, etc... If you shrink-wrap them before cure is done, the excess water will have no where to go, which can lead to spoilage/DOS.

Also, letting them air out naked allows the soap to chemically react with the carbon dioxide in the air, which has the affect of reducing the pH a little.

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #55
dillsandwitch

Liked 309 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycoke216 View Post
Mm...thoughtful husband know how great lardy lard is!

Do you want to venture into rendering lard yourself? Haha...extra labor for extreme luxury soaping oil.
Looked into it a while back but none of the butchers around here are willing to keep pork fat for me.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #56
cherrycoke216

Liked 394 Times on 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsandwitch View Post
Looked into it a while back but none of the butchers around here are willing to keep pork fat for me.

Oh I see that you are in Australia, then sheep/lamb tallow might be plentiful? Wonder how it performs in soap.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 PM   #57
WhiteRiverSoap

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm of the opinion that the "curing" of the soap is mostly about loss of water and to harden the soap. I find that this process is variable based on lye concentration and water as % of oils where less water and higher lye concentration takes less time to "cure". I track water loss vs. time and when I go several days with no more water loss, it's done!

Old 07-18-2017, 05:38 AM   #58
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6850 Times on 3467 Posts
Likes Given: 4492

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRiverSoap View Post
I'm of the opinion that the "curing" of the soap is mostly about loss of water and to harden the soap. I find that this process is variable based on lye concentration and water as % of oils where less water and higher lye concentration takes less time to "cure". I track water loss vs. time and when I go several days with no more water loss, it's done!
There's also the 'crystalization' aspect going on during cure, as interestingly explained by our DeeAnna here .

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #59
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8066 Times on 3873 Posts
Likes Given: 3773

Quite. water loss alone doesn't explain why a 6 month bar is better than a 3 month, as both would have stopped losing any sort of moisture long before that.

People Like This