~*~ SMF July 2017 Challenge - Mermaid Tail Soaps! ~*~
~ July 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > Craft Fairs & Shows > I think I'm done

Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 AM   #51
Spice
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator9 View Post
This makes me so sad. Do you think it is the internet, easily providing people with the info to make anything they want? Craftspeople don't learn from other craftspeople any more...the info they get on the internet, (and we know this, from posts on this forum), may or may not be correct. And many seem to not care about putting in the work to really learn a craft, which is fine if you're just making something for your own enjoyment, but if you're selling a product that has your name attached to it, I would think you'd want to make sure it was the very best you could do. Something you'd be proud of. But I don't see a lot of that these days. So craft fairs become diluted with mediocre products, and people become disillusioned with not being able to find unique, quality items at craft fairs like they used to. Maybe all of this has lowered shopper's expectations, and made them satisfied with less. I don't know, I'm just rambling here, but it makes me miss the old days, and the sense of anticipation I felt when I went to a craft fair, because I knew I would always find something amazing.
You may have a point there, last week I was doing a farmers market, people were buying bath bombs and they kept asking me if it was going to give them a yeast infection (women). I make my products bland, IMO, if I use a colorant its from an herb/infused oil, I don't use dye in my bath bombs or have all those pretty fluorescent colors, or spinning balls that light up the bathroom. Most said that Lush products were either giving them an itch or a yeast infection.

When Lush makes products like that, it make all crafters part of Lush's inferior products. A company that large, I would think, would have better products.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #52
SunRiseArts

Liked 409 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice View Post
You may have a point there, last week I was doing a farmers market, people were buying bath bombs and they kept asking me if it was going to give them a yeast infection (women). I make my products bland, IMO, if I use a colorant its from an herb/infused oil, I don't use dye in my bath bombs or have all those pretty fluorescent colors, or spinning balls that light up the bathroom. Most said that Lush products were either giving them an itch or a yeast infection.

When Lush makes products like that, it make all crafters part of Lush's inferior products. A company that large, I would think, would have better products.
Not sure if it is true, but I heard that anything with sugar down there can cause a yeast infection because it changes the ph. I avoid sugar in all my products, but mainly because we have crazy ants in Texas.

I think one of the fine ladies here is a nurse, maybe she can confirm or not the veracity of that statement.

Spice Likes This 
Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #53
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1921 Times on 953 Posts
Likes Given: 1508

I am a retired nurse, but not the only nurse on the forum.

Some women are more prone to yeast infections than others. A variety of things can play a part in this extremely uncomfortable dilemna, including diabetes, blood sugar issues (with or without diabetes), tight pants or pantyhose, sexual activity, immuno-suppression, antibiotic usage, even genetic pre-disposition (according to some), physical aspects (of the body itself), obesity, birth control methods, douche usage, etc. So it's not all about taking a bath with a bath bomb and the ingredients therein.

However, it is highly recommended that for women with a propensity to yeast infections, bath bombs should only be used once a week and that they don't sit long in the tub, especially if the bomb has any glitter. In fact, it is recommended to shower after bathing with a bath bomb with glitter because glitter is not vaginal-friendly. Also of note: fragrances and colorants are also not vaginal-friendly and women with such issues are also more likely to do better with less fragrance and colorants in their bath bombs.
SunRiseArts Likes This 
Old 06-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #54
debbism

Liked 47 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've wondered about this especially since I used to be prone to these before my diet changed. I stopped drinking sugary drinks and as a result, I not longer crave/consume mass amounts of sugar.

It also begs the question of whether adding probiotics would do anything. I already add it to other products but I wonder if it would stay intact even if it is a shelf stable type
penelopejane Likes This 
Old 07-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #55
charmed47
charmed47

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi everyone,
I was planning on doing craft fairs since I got my new soap business going... and reading you is a bit discouraging... I'm a newby... but I cannot do annything else since I had a big car accident and cannot work anymore and just can't see myself doing anything at all so for me it was a way of doing something with my life, seing people, doing something I love (making soaps) and a bit of money (not get rich) I have a question for you guys... Do you innovate with technologie? Do you have an online store? Do you sell something else then soap that is bath related... ? Sometimes it could be an idea to do different things? I don't know.... I'm in Canada, I don't know if its the same here but I'm questionning myself weither its a good avenue or not...? We were planning on getting on the road with the rv and doing fairs and all... am I just a big dreamer? I prefer to think positive and isn't their is a change of heart from people and they are coming back to homebased product... No?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #56
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4569 Times on 2684 Posts
Likes Given: 961

I do not know the regulations for Canada but here in the US most cities/counties require Business Licenses to sell in their cities so it can get expensive to sell in multiple cities/counties. So that is something to check on if you are trying to have a mobile type business. Here in the US sales are not what they were even 5yrs ago, and I think the influx of DIY sites has hurt us tremendously. For example I have a customer that used to purchase bath bombs, she now makes them herself. LOL, in fact I am thinking about asking how much she would wholesale them to me...bath bombs are my nemesis . She does still purchase soap and syndet shampoo bars from me.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
Susie Likes This 
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #57
navigator9

Liked 2879 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Hello Charmed! Honestly, I wasn't meaning to discourage anyone, just to be realistic. I didn't start selling soap because I thought I'd make a lot of money. I had always loved going to craft fairs and thought it would be fun to be on the selling side for a change, and make some extra money. But I know there are a lot of people out there who do expect to make it big by selling their soap. And there are a few who do manage to do that. But not so very many, I'm afraid. When I first started selling, I also ordered soaps from some makers who were quite well known, and seemed to do a lot of business. I wanted to see how my soap measured up. I was quite surprised that their soaps didn't seem to be anything special. They were nice, but not nicer than mine. So what was the secret? I think marketing has a lot to do with it. They had websites with beautiful photos and graphics. They had a big online presence. They had widely read soap blogs. I think anyone who wants to make a considerable amount of money has to be good at marketing their product. If you just want to do a few craft fairs here and there, you can make some money, but for me, the amount of time and work I had to put into it, just isn't worth it. Your area may be different. You need to pick and choose craft fairs wisely. But definitely give it a try!!! You never know how things will turn out.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #58
penelopejane

Liked 1483 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 2206

There are two business in Oz which are run by marketers. The have a good catchy name, they know people in magazines and have huge write ups about their soap. Their soap is not good (one has Castile sold at 8 weeks) but they sell for $$$ and sell well.

I find it disappointing that the public are so unable to discriminate between good and bad soap. It's all about who you know, labelling and marketing not the product.
SunRiseArts Likes This 
Old 07-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #59
SunRiseArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed47 View Post
Hi everyone,
I was planning on doing craft fairs since I got my new soap business going... and reading you is a bit discouraging... I'm a newby... but I cannot do annything else since I had a big car accident and cannot work anymore and just can't see myself doing anything at all so for me it was a way of doing something with my life, seing people, doing something I love (making soaps) and a bit of money (not get rich) I have a question for you guys... Do you innovate with technologie? Do you have an online store? Do you sell something else then soap that is bath related... ? Sometimes it could be an idea to do different things? I don't know.... I'm in Canada, I don't know if its the same here but I'm questionning myself weither its a good avenue or not...? We were planning on getting on the road with the rv and doing fairs and all... am I just a big dreamer? I prefer to think positive and isn't their is a change of heart from people and they are coming back to homebased product... No?
Never let anyone stop you from what your dream is. Besides the fact that you go from town to town might be a good thing! just make sure you are complying with all that is necessary. Do not commit lots of money to it. I would just make a loaf or two and see how they sell, and take it from there.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #60
SunRiseArts

Having said what I said above .....

The town I live has a knows farmers market every Saturday so I checked it out. I personally do not like the fact that you have to commit through a contract for a whole year, but ridiculously, these things are asked from the vendors:

The Market Manager will also strive to limit the similar types of all items, to maximize variety for the consumer and regulate competition within the Market.

All vendors shall be subject to inspection of their farm or place of production.

All Farmer/Food vendors shall provide proof of $1 million of liability insurance with the market named as additional insured.

Violation of any provision of the Market Rules of Operation shall be a material breach and default by the vendor. Vendor will be required to vacate the market immediately. Failure to vacate may subject the vendor to civil and criminal remedies, including but not limited to remedies of civil and criminal trespass. There will be no refund for spaces for this day.

Attire and grooming must be neat, clean and appropriate for the work being performed. (as if) .....

Not sure I want to go there ... I carry insurance, but not that much, and only have it as a safety net, I make my soap in my kitchen and then clean thoroughly after I am done, and do not have a separated place in my house for soaping at the moment.

Not sure that is how I want to spend every weekend either.