~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Announcements and Site News > SoapMakingForum Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules > Photobucket links no longer working

Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2278 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

Default Photobucket links no longer working

Dear mods, due to Photobucket's new policy, the links to hundreds (perhaps more) photos here on SMF are no longer showing the intended photos of the members who use/d PB. I just learned about this last night, and this morning saw the actual result on the forum.

At first I thought perhaps we could just edit our own posts, but that's no longer possible, so then I thought adding a correction post at the end of the thread would work. Well, it does, but it also puts the thread on the 'Newest Threads' list and I don't think that's a good way to go.

Is there some kind of solution we can work out for this situation besides PM'ing the mod team to edit hundreds of posts?

If you prefer we PM you, we can start uploading photos to the Photos section http://www.soapmakingforum.com/photo/ and then include the links to each photo as well as the link to each post that needs editing. But that certainly seems like an awful lot of work for the mods. It's going to be a lot of work for us as it is, just to find what we want fixed (if we want them fixed.)

penelopejane Likes This 
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
Obsidian

Liked 4468 Times on 2630 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I wonder if the board settings could be changed to allow members to edit their old threads? Would make it a ton easier on the mods.

People Like This 
Old 07-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 3110 Times on 2206 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Have you tried using tinypic?

Old 07-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper

I have re-acquainted myself with imgur and will start using it for photo uploads. It only solves the future picture posts issue, but will not address the other issue in my Original Post.

Someone pointed out that Photobucket owns TinyPic, so that seems like it would probably eventually go the same route and I don't want to risk that. Also according to TinyPic's FAQs, the images are only kept for 90 days if they are no longer being viewed. So it would seem that the links could become broken eventually anyway. That would be a real shame if one of us wanted to view pictures from older threads and they weren't there. I've run into that a few times in older threads already. I don't know where the photos in question were being hosted, but the images were missing.

Last edited by earlene; 07-08-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added link to imgur

Old 07-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
penelopejane

Liked 1713 Times on 999 Posts
Likes Given: 2586

Google photos is free for a huge number of photos. It's also easy to use and compatable/accessible with/from your phone and computer.
Flickr is good but has a limit

Old 07-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 742 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopejane View Post
Google photos is free for a huge number of photos. It's also easy to use and compatable/accessible with/from your phone and computer.
Flickr is good but has a limit
Google photos does not allow third party embedding, the best you can do with it is include a link to your picture that someone can click on to view the pic.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
Relle
Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 1553 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Just checked and my photos uploaded from Photobucket are still here from 2011.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showt...918#post199918

So how do I move the photos from PB to Imgur ?

Old 07-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relle View Post
Just checked and my photos uploaded from Photobucket are still here from 2011.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showt...918#post199918

So how do I move the photos from PB to Imgur ?
Relle, I still see yours, too. They look like they are linked using the image tag rather than the direct link tag. (Or not, I can't really tell for sure.) I don't know what difference that makes in terms of the changes we are seeing with other people's posts. Maybe PB is taking more time writing the code. Maybe you're just lucky.

Anyway, to upload from PB to Imgur, I don't know if you can do that directly or not. I've just started uploading from my computer. But not all my uploaded photos are even on this computer, so it certainly is a royal pain.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlene View Post
Relle, I still see yours, too. They look like they are linked using the image tag rather than the direct link tag. (Or not, I can't really tell for sure.) I don't know what difference that makes in terms of the changes we are seeing with other people's posts. Maybe PB is taking more time writing the code. Maybe you're just lucky.

Anyway, to upload from PB to Imgur, I don't know if you can do that directly or not. I've just started uploading from my computer. But not all my uploaded photos are even on this computer, so it certainly is a royal pain.
What I found was that to copy your images from Photobucket, it looks like you first have to download them to your computer, one image at a time (maybe there is a faster way, but I didn't look into it, just tested it with one image). Then you can upload it to Imgur or whatever other image hosting site you choose.

One other strange thing that seems to be happening regarding the 'broken' image links with Photobucket, at least for me: Some seem to show here, then after refreshing the page a couple of times I get this image:

However, after making some changes to image links in quoted posts of my own, some of those original images in the original posts are now showing up again. Not all are, but some are and this is very odd.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:17 AM   #10
Steve85569
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

PB is asking for $$ so you can use your photos.
The best way I have found is to load pics straight from my computer to any website. Then if there is a problem the photos are still safe and can be resent to the server if something happens.