~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Classifieds Forum > Soap and Craft Swap > Home Sweet Home Comments

Old 07-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #101
jules92207
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1591 Times on 1039 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by osso View Post
I've been MIA for a little bit, but glad to hear you liked it. I really love the sal butter!

I've been enjoying my swap soaps slowly, especially since I've been in a soaping drought for a while. Will pull out some of my notes soon.

Most recently I used and loved the peach neroli

Oh I think that was mine! Yea, I'm glad you enjoyed it! 😊

osso Likes This 
Old 07-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #102
amd

Liked 597 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 393

Send a message via Skype™ to amd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGnome View Post
Mine has morphed to all brown but does not smell rancid, the earthy smell just mellowed out. Attached is what mine looks like on the bottom, the top is all brown
Thanks, BattleGnome, for posting your picture. That is about the same color mine is (it looks orange to me, rather than brown). Anyone else have opinions/experience if this is DOS or color morphing? I'm still leaning towards DOS

Old 07-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #103
Soapmaker145

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
I think my Aleppo soap has come down with a case of DOS A few orange spots on the top ridges of the rose. I meant to take a picture to post for confirmation, but I couldn't get myself coordinated enough. Should I start using it so the DOS doesn't spread or let it sit for the full cure, hoping that it will still be useable in the end?

Also, I don't think anything was wrong with the making of the soap - my cure rack was in questionable circumstances for the last 6 weeks during the move. I have several soaps made prior to moving and left on the cure rack that are "not quite right".
Here is a picture of mine next to an Aleppo soap that is now about 3 years old. I kept mine in the bag until 4 weeks ago. I do that sometime with soaps that haven't gone through gel to minimize ash. It is hard to tell if what you have is DOS or the normal color morphing as the soap is exposed to air. Aleppo will morph slowly into the brown that you see in the picture and will go through several color changes along the way. The smell of the soap is a better indication at this point.

I would "use" the soap until the spots are gone and then put it back in the cure zone and watch it. I'm expecting the color of my soap to start morphing slowly now that it is exposed to air.
Attached Thumbnails
2_Aleppo_Soaps.jpg  

Old 07-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #104
amd

Here is my aleppo soap. I can't tell if the smell is rancid or not. The top does smell different from the bottom. I think I'm just going to start using it despite the age of it.
Attached Thumbnails
1500146522121.jpg  

Old 07-17-2017, 03:10 AM   #105
Steve85569
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1507 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by osso View Post
I've been MIA for a little bit, but glad to hear you liked it. I really love the sal butter!

I've been enjoying my swap soaps slowly, especially since I've been in a soaping drought for a while. Will pull out some of my notes soon.

Most recently I used and loved the peach neroli
Same here. I've been busy with life and being a mod on another forum which takes up a lot of my computer time.

I have set up the untried swap soaps in their own rack by the front door just to tease company. Your soaps get oohs and aahhs every week.
The peach was one of the first to go here.
You gals really rock the soap making and seeing the different packaging and labeling has changed the way I do things.

Guess I'll just have to make an order for that sodium hydroxide stuff and get back to making soap.
People Like This 
Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #106
Steve85569
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1507 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Okay, I have a question.
Because I am so disorganized I did not write down who sent the lotions and lib balms. Jan really wants to thank you thank you thank you for them.
Remember I only saw them very briefly when the box was opened - DW Jan pulled rank and made those things disappear.

Any how if it was you please do get a hold of me. I am interested in more for Jan. She has a birthday coming up in a few weeks.

TIA!

Old 09-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #107
dixiedragon

Liked 3685 Times on 2125 Posts
Likes Given: 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85569 View Post
Okay, I have a question.
Because I am so disorganized I did not write down who sent the lotions and lib balms. Jan really wants to thank you thank you thank you for them.
Remember I only saw them very briefly when the box was opened - DW Jan pulled rank and made those things disappear.

Any how if it was you please do get a hold of me. I am interested in more for Jan. She has a birthday coming up in a few weeks.

TIA!
I made the lip balms and also the little tub of whipped shea. Check out entries 2, 3 and 5 on this thread - there are pics of the lotions. Dorietta made the Summer on the Farm one and Soapmaker made the one in the jar.

Lip balm is SUPER easy to make. Literally the hardest part is getting it in the tube - the pour tray is a MUST if you are making more than 10 tubes at a time.
Susie Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #108
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7863 Times on 4329 Posts
Likes Given: 16543

Lip balm IS super easy, and it was the gateway drug that got me addicted to soapmaking. Just warning you.

If you are going to start making lip balm, I am going to suggest you make no more than 28 g at the time to start. That will fill 7 standard size lip balm tubes. And I would really suggest you make more like 10 g at the time to start. Do not fill more than one tube at the time to start, though, as you will want to tweak your recipe. I used a Pyrex measuring cup to melt and mix. Then just let the balm harden in the bottom until you are sure you have the right recipe.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #109
dixiedragon

Liked 3685 Times on 2125 Posts
Likes Given: 1625

This is my starting recipe from www.thesage.com
60 grams of beeswax
75 grams shea butter (refined or ultra refined is less likely to get grainy)
45 grams cocoa butter (if you are ordering supplies, you may want to order a small amount of the deodorized cocoa butter as well as regular cocoa butter. I've found that there are some flavors that just really clash with the chocolate scent of the prime-pressed cocoa butter, though it's fine with most.)
120 grams avocado oil - check Aldi and Costco

.5-1 tsp of flavor (if using essential uses, look up safe usage rates)

This recipe makes 60 tubes (.15 oz). I like this batch size because there's enough for me to fill my tray.

My method:
Measure into 2-cup glass measuring cup. Heat in microwave in 1 minute bursts. Put tubes in tray. Put tray on top of a sheet of wax paper - this makes clean up so much easier! When the oils are completely melted, added flavor and stir in with a bamboo skewer (disposable for easy clean up). Pour lip balm into tray. Put tray - still on wax paper - into fridge. When the balm has hardened, scrape off the excess (I use a dough scraper) and put it back in the measuring cup. If you spilled any, you can also scrape it off of the wax paper. Reheat lip balm and pour again.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #110
amd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
I made the lip balms and also the little tub of whipped shea. Check out entries 2, 3 and 5 on this thread - there are pics of the lotions. Dorietta made the Summer on the Farm one and Soapmaker made the one in the jar.

Lip balm is SUPER easy to make. Literally the hardest part is getting it in the tube - the pour tray is a MUST if you are making more than 10 tubes at a time.
I make about a dozen tubes at a time. I use the liquid medication syringe type dispenser that you get at the pharmacy. Practically no spillage and tons of control. Plus it is super fast to re-fill. I haven't tried doubling my batch (yet) and seeing how it goes for filling.

Also... Dixiedragon... I love the whipped shea you made. I'm almost out. Did you post the recipe? If not, could I have it so I can make more? unless you sell (I don't remember if you do or not), in which case could you direct me to "how to order". Seriously, this stuff was the bomb-diggity for clearing up my hormonal acne overnight.

ETA: I'm still using the Aleppo soap, it is so lovely that I am restricting myself to once a week to make it last.