~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback > Salt bar

Old 07-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
Spiceandsoap

Liked 32 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Salt bar

My last post was asking for advice on a batch that went a little funny, and I learnt a ton from the responses. One of the suggestions was to post my recipe BEFORE I mess up, so here we are in yet another salt bar thread…..

Coconut Oil 325g
Olive Oil 75g
Palm oil: 25g
Castor Oil: 25g

Water- 170g
Lye(NaOH) 65g

300g Sea Salt
4.5g Rosemary EO

I’ve run soapcalc, but am aware that the large amount of salt messes with some of the properties.

I know that it’ll want to turn into cement after I add the salt, and I’ll have individual molds ready to shove the batter into.
Any advice I’m missing?

Question: Do these need to typical 4 weeks to cure?

Side Question: Much of the advice in the beginner forums is to make many small batches as I get started… however, with the smallest batch I’ve made is (620g of oil), I could barely ‘burp’ my stick-blender to get the air out of the bell. When doing small batches, do people generally hand stir? Should I find a narrower container to mix batter in? (I suspect my husband would urgently like an answer to this question as he eyes the rapidly growing collection of drying soap)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Salt Bars.pdf (84.2 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Spiceandsoap; 07-14-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Edited to add soap calc page
GeezLouise Likes This 
Old 07-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
Obsidian

Liked 4468 Times on 2630 Posts
Likes Given: 110

You should start with a really simple recipe for salt bars. 80% coconut, 20% of your choice liquid oil. I like OO or avocado. SF at 20% and 50% salt. You can leave the water setting at default for salt bars.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4735 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

My go to salt bar recipe is 85% CO, 8% Castor, 7% Sweet Almond Oil or Avocado Oil, full water, and 15-17% superfat, sugar, and oatmeal with 100% extra fine to fine salt. I personally hate OO especially in Salt bars. Salt bars were one of the first I started making when I started soaping around 8yrs ago. You may prefer the 20% superfat, that is just a matter of testing. I find they require a very minimum of 3 month cure preferably 6 months.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 07-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6850 Times on 3467 Posts
Likes Given: 4492

You're probably going to get a handful of differing opinions seeing as how we all have our favorite way of making salt bars, lol, but for what it's worth, here's mine: I would use at least 80% coconut oil in your salt bar if you want it to have decent enough lather where salt bars are concerned- especially if your house is piped with hard water since the salt will diminish it enough on its own.

Other than that, your recipe looks fine to me, although your water looks a little high to me (it's a little more than SoapCalc's default full water amount).

For what it's worth, I like to make mine with 100% CO/25% salt ppo/100% coconut milk as my liquid/13% superfat. I should probably mention that I am a bubbly lather lover and my house is piped with hard water.

A 4 to 6-week cure is my 'earliest best', minimum, but you can never go wrong with a lengthier cure, for sure.

IrishLass

Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4735 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I am just dipping into some 2yr old salt bars and they are great

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 07-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
jewels621
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 412 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
I am just dipping into some 2yr old salt bars and they are great
When I grow up I want to have Carolyn's patience.
People Like This 
Old 07-15-2017, 12:44 AM   #7
CTAnton

Liked 458 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 551

I'm going to have to play around with a different recipe for my salt bars. While I love the way my skin feels after using them, i'm certainly not getting the lather that everyone talks about...Thanks as always, Carolyn!
cmzaha Likes This 
Old 07-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 8067 Times on 3874 Posts
Likes Given: 3773

Keep trying - my 80% co, 15% avo, 5% castor bars with 20% sf and 86% salt lather quite well and they are still quite young.

Don't forget your chelators, folks - every little helps

Old 07-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2109 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 2515

This is a picture I posted comparing salt bars at 5 weeks and 6+ months. My salt bar recipe, like many others, is 80% CO, 15% OO, 5% castor, 75% salt PPO. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=62723
DeeAnna Likes This 
Old 07-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #10
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper

Liked 2278 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

To address your other questions about making smaller batches. (No input on salt bars, per se at this point from me.)

If you can find a tall and thinner container for mixing your smaller batches in, that would help. You want your SB bell to be more than fully immersed in the batter, of course. And a taller, thinner container makes that more possible. Perhaps you can something like this (make sure it has a #2 or #5 recycle code on bottom so you know it is safe for use with lye soap).

Hand stirring only may be better for some recipes, but not for others.

Zany_in_CO Likes This