Scented Candles VS Unscented Candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rv13

Reaction score
What do you use when purchasing candles from a shop, unscented candles or scented candles? and why so?

I'd like to ask to see peoples preferences - so it's like a poll ;)

Thanks

Scented candles for home fragrance and "mood lighting", unscented tapers for the dining table (you never burn scented candles when there is food!)

If I'm buying candles I'm buy something scented. I think that is the whole purpose with a candle. The exceptions would be for candlelight dinners (Ha!) and my oil warmer.

When I could use "scent" I always purchased candles for scent, and sometimes color, but color was secondary. The only exception was the emergency candles that always stayed in the same spot and never used until the power went out. Those, of course, are plain, white, unscented. Tea lights, always plain unscented.

If selling candles, not the carved or special shapes kind, I think most choose for scent. And what I just saw at the grocery store blew me away. Scented jar candles, 16 oz apothecary with lid, $15. In the grocery store! Not a specialty shop or any kind of extra special scents or colors. Amazing!

I usually use unscented tealights for melting wax. I thing I've got too large rooms for scented tealights, I can't smell them. But I've always got a lot of unscented tealights from Candlemania

I'm the probably rare exception here. I avoid scented candles like the plague. I'm allergic to artificial fragrance, and most candles lay me out pretty quick since they tend to be strongly scented. Do you know how difficult it is to find unscented candles in anything but tapers? I'd so love to find unscented votives and pillars, I like the way they look when burning. Makes a room feel much more welcoming to have a candle or two lit. My absolute favorite candle is my pure beeswax pillar that some friends gave me.

Do you know how difficult it is to find unscented candles in anything but tapers? I'd so love to find unscented votives and pillars,

Search church candles. You can get all shapes/sizes of pillars, containers and votives, all unscented.
Amazon has a pretty extensive amount, with great inexpensive prices. However, if you have a candlemaking friend, I'd get them there. Better wax/wick combo and probably tested more extensively than those at places like Amazon.
I rarely make unscented because they just do not sell. In the last 20+ years of candlemaking I can still count on 1 hand how many unscented candles have sold for me. Up until recently I still had about 15-20 unscented pillars left from when I first tried to sell that line of candles. Couldn't even give them away, so finally (almost 15 years later) decide to melt them down, add scent and make wax tarts. Sold every single tart I made form them the next weekend.

While I use scented candles as Christmas time, I prefer unscented in general. I know I'm in the minority. I also prefer uncolored; again - I'm in the big minority there too. It's the sound (crackling wicks) and the flicker of candle light that appeal to me, not the scent. (Except for Christmas)

Last edited:
I offer unscented. It is rare - but probably one person per show we do asks for an unscented candle. The phthalates can be a trigger. We use phthalate-free fragrances and we rarely react (highly allergic family) - but I did say RARELY. My sympathies! I love candles and I would hate it if I could not use ANY fragrance! Beeswax candles do cause us to react - scented or not. :-(

Latest posts

Back