Tweak my recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hguevara

Reaction score
Hello I'm just starting to make bath bombs and I'm having problems with them crumbling when I try to package them. I'm just wondering if anyone can tweak my recipe...

1 cup citric acid
2 cups baking soda
4 TBSP Kaolin clay
1/4 epsom salts
2 TBSP almond oil
2 TSP fragrance oil

I can get them to mold and hold shape but when I go to package them some crumble the ones that I can package don't seem to be hard like a rock.

Thanks in advance for any ones help or advice :)

Hi Luviesmom
At first I was just letting them sit and air dry for 48 hours and they still crumbled.
My last batch I put in the oven at 175 for 2 hours those weren't as crumbly but they still weren't as hard as I would've liked them.

Do you think I should let them dry longer?
Do you think I should cut the epsom salts?
Do you think I should use more oil?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just feeling really lost.

First, I would say no oven. I have never "dried" my bombs in oven. 48 hours should suffice. Rotation for large bombs.

I would ditch salts. No therapeutic value at small amounts Unless you want a speckled bomb.

It doesn't look like you need more oils. Try a butter or hard oil instead of liquid oils. I use half and half with polysorbate 80. Also consider 91% alcohol to moist your mix to fluffy snow consistency.

Hello I'm just starting to make bath bombs and I'm having problems with them crumbling when I try to package them. I'm just wondering if anyone can tweak my recipe...

1 cup citric acid
2 cups baking soda
4 TBSP Kaolin clay
1/4 epsom salts
2 TBSP almond oil
2 TSP fragrance oil

I can get them to mold and hold shape but when I go to package them some crumble the ones that I can package don't seem to be hard like a rock.

Thanks in advance for any ones help or advice :)

This was me about 2 months ago.... seems like years. About 100 hours of research and 15-20 test batches I've learned a lot. Here is my advice:

1. Weigh everything. Get a cheap $10 digital scale. using cups when scoping is not going to be accurate. When you finally do get the perfect bath bomb you need good notes and exact measurements so you can duplicate it again.
2. Seems little too much on the oils. But if they are crumbling, that would tell me they seem too dry, so maybe you need more. What is the humidity where you are at, is it very dry?
3. From my experience witch hazel seems to be the bidding agent that helps hold it all together and make it hard. For the amount you are using I would try 3-4 sprays.
4. (This should probably be #1) Start with the basics and work your way up. I would cut out the kaolin clay and epsom salts, do a small batch keep adding little more oil, mix try to mold, etc. till you get it just right. Or if they are molding well for you try a couple test with different amounts of oil, after 24 hours see if one of the tests is harder than the others etc.. it's a lot of trail and error because there are so many factors, many of which we don't know when trying to help you, some you might not even be aware of or notice.
5. I wouldn't use the oven at all.
6. If they are not dry (or how you want them) with in 24-48 hours then you need to try again with a new test.
7. It is frustrating :headbanging:, have patience, and keep experimenting, take notes and good measurements till you get it.

First, I would say no oven. I have never "dried" my bombs in oven. 48 hours should suffice. Rotation for large bombs.

I would ditch salts. No therapeutic value at small amounts Unless you want a speckled bomb.

It doesn't look like you need more oils. Try a butter or hard oil instead of liquid oils. I use half and half with polysorbate 80. Also consider 91% alcohol to moist your mix to fluffy snow consistency.

I forgot to mention this as well. Add Polysorbate 80, it's a must. I don't think anyone wants oil floating on top of the water in their tub or all over the bottom of the tub when the water drains ~ very slippery. Poly 80 mixes your oils with water.

Latest posts

Back