Where to buy koh?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
Is potassium hydroxide available at any brick and mortar stores like sodium hydroxide is? (Maryland). Dying to try a shave soap recipe in another thread, and don't want to wait for shipping!

Thanks!

I don't live in Maryland, but I've never seen KOH sold in brick and mortar stores, nor have I ever heard of any soapers being able to find it in brick and mortar stores (unless its a soaping supply vendor that allows for local pickup at their facility). I've been buying mine from Brambleberry lately.

IrishLass :)

Hmmm... supposedly hardware store has it in a 17% solution. Now to figure out if I'm smart enough to noodle out how to use it!

If you have a chemical supplier in your driving locality you may find they carry it. I get mine for a Chem Supply Company, although it may cost you more than an online supplier if purchasing less than 50 lbs, but you don't have to wait for shipping.

Not sure if it is the same in the US but in Oz you can buy it at cleaning supply stores in 1 kg containers.

I got their name from the chemical supply shop that only sells 25kg bags of it.

Last edited:
It will be a challenge to make soap with a KOH solution at 17% concentration. That's pretty weak, considering we usually use alkali at 25% concentration and higher. I suppose it can be done, but I'd read the "lye heavy castile" thread to see what you're up against.

I buy KOH from The Lye Guy.

Thanks all! Ended up ordering from Amazon- wanted it quick! (I'm so impatient...). Of course realized AFTER purchase it wasn't a Prime item, so I'll have to cool my heals and wait after all.

Back