Getting into good habits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really should leave them open wide at a minimum.
On top of a cupboard or bookshelf - somewhere out of the way but preferably where they don't get dusty. They have to have air. After 6-8 weeks you can put them into a box and close the lid. You'll know if it doesn't work because they will sweat or get dos or warp. What about a tiny wire shelving system or a bookshelf?

^^This!

If you use a wire shelf, though, line it with freezer or parchment paper before putting the bars down. Airflow is key to curing soap.

I have started keeping a small copy of the recipe, in exact weights, on the end of the basket for each batch.

I'm with Susie....I cure my soaps on cardboard trays that fruit comes in rom Costco and instead of just a date the whole formula now goes on a slip of paper...I do this while the soap is in the oven . I used a soap the other day that as it wore down the clementine orange powder became apparent. Some would call it an exfoliating bar; I call it dermabrasion . Always nice to know what additives you put in something....

I have been making soap for a year and love it. This is my game plan on soaping day.
1. safety first.
2. assemble all ingredients
3. measure.
4. mix - i do NOT melt hard oils first, i use the heat transfer method.
5. pour. Put in the fridge.
6. I take tons of notes, every single time. I also keep notes about the qualities of each finished batch.
7. unmold, slice and cure on open racks.
8. wrap with cigar bands, label, deliver to shops.
When i first started, i loved creating new recipes and trying different oils. Now i stick with my tried and true (and very much loved) shea butter recipe. I use more exotic oils for lotion making.

Thanks everyone :)

I didn't mean to abandon this, I have been working my way through all the beginner forum posts.
Getting ready to start this week hopefully :)

I wish I would have known to make sure that the fragrance oil I wanted to use wouldn't accelerate my recipe.

Also, swirling is a more advanced technique that I shouldn't have tried right off the bat; I should have learned more about soaping temperatures and trace first! I would recommend getting a few basic batches under your belt before trying anything too 'fancy' :) That way, you'll learn the basics about safety, trace, temperatures and cure.

Latest posts

Back