Experience traveling on Greyhound

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry to hear that. I know you are working very hard to help them! Re: the dogs - even if they are not registered or recognizable as a particular breed, it may be worth contacting breed-specific rescue groups as well as non-breed-specific groups. If all you need for the dogs is a foster home (vs expensive medical care) the breed-specific groups may be able to help you. It may also be worth contacting local vets, they may be able to point you to resources.

Some DV groups also have access to folks who are willing to foster pets for their clients while the clients get back on their feet. That may be another avenue to try.

I'm focusing so much on the dogs b/c I have no helpful ideas regarding the women, but I'm thinking that it will probably be easier to find food/lodging/transport for 2 women vs 2 women + 5 dogs.

Thanks Dixie. Yeah, the dogs are going to hold them back.

The health of both women is slowly deteriorating due to stress, and Tonya's cancer. After speaking with the Reno Housing Authority (no, they didn't give private info - they filled me in on state of affairs - like the average 6 month wait list for housing.)

The women's shelter was quite blunt with me and I wish the Reno Pastor's would also have been as blunt. Reno is an awful place for the poor due to its less than average social service programs.

It's winter in Reno - consistently below freezing at night. The overflow shelter is filled. Shelters are first come first served - daily. The women have to leave every morning, return, stand in line and re-sign up for the that night. They do not have the strength for that. They both need walkers, but only have one.

Should they choose to keep the dogs and panhandle for motel rooms, they'll find shortages of rooms very often due to the fact Reno is such a convention town.

The Pastors and I had a meeting and all agreed that Reno would be a worse place for them than here. Funds for travel were withdrawn. The women are hurt and angry, and refusing to at least visit social services hereto fill out disability and housing paperwork to prepare for life here.

I'll keep a distant eye on them, and check back in to see where their state of mind is, and offer to take them to Oceanside for social services. That's all I can do. I'm not happy, but I can live with this.

My little one was home sick today, took her to see Trolls and we had some good laughs.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out like you had hoped. You have certainly given it your all to help them, and I can understand why Reno is not a good place for them to go.

I'm glad you and your daughter had a good day together today. It was well deserved and good timing.

Why is this story on the Soap Making Forum?

Call me Scrooge. Call me heartless. This is the Soap Making Forum, not Queen For a Day (a reference to a 1950's TV show where people poured out their sad stories in hopes of winning money and prizes). I feel bad for anyone in a desperate situation, and I do my best to donate and volunteer to several organizations, but this is not the vehicle to solve the problems of these individuals.
I want to read about soap makers and soap making.

Call me Scrooge. Call me heartless. This is the Soap Making Forum, not Queen For a Day (a reference to a 1950's TV show where people poured out their sad stories in hopes of winning money and prizes). I feel bad for anyone in a desperate situation, and I do my best to donate and volunteer to several organizations, but this is not the vehicle to solve the problems of these individuals.
I want to read about soap makers and soap making.

This is general chat and members are free to post pretty much anything they would like. Please feel free to just pass it up if it doesn't interest you.

There is plenty to read on this forum so find something that interests you without being rather crass and insulting in your response. You've made 4 posts in 7 years. Please feel free to add and participate in the forum.

Back