Digital Scale Recommendations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 12568

Reaction score
My digital kitchen scale is in need of replacing... Does anyone have any recommendations re: brand / model for a new scale?

I like the KD-7000. It weighs up to 7000g, has a stainless weighing platform, and a cover for the display/keypad.

Also watching this with interest. Had a look at the KD-7000, was all good apart from the ac adapter not included bit. Want the adapter if upgrading.

While on the subject of scales, I have a stupid question (pretend to be surprised). How do you check if your scales are accurate? My current ones are just basic digital cheapo ones and I have no clue if they are much chop or not on accuracy.

How do you check if your scales are accurate? My current ones are just basic digital cheapo ones and I have no clue if they are much chop or not on accuracy.

Check with a known weight.

Penny - 2.5grams

Nickel - 5.0grams

Dime - 2.268grams (This will show up as 2.3grams on a scale with only 10th of a gram sensitivity.)

Source: http://www.usmint.gov/

If you're a PM stacker you can use f.ex. a Maple or an Eagle to calibrate. Each weigh precisely 1 oz.

SAE weighs = 1 Troy oz = 31.103 gr = 1.09714286 Avoirdupois ounces
There's a difference?!? Man, I did not know that! I even had to look up what Avoirdubois meant! :lol:

Just the other day an American friend of mine was telling me how many bushels of pears she's gotten from her tree this year and I was thinking, what the heck is a bushel?!? LOL! How Americans manage to get any math done with all those old-fashioned measurements is beyond me. :lol:

For those who weigh in metric, a 1 euro coin weighs 7.5 grams. Here's the weights of all eight euro denominations;

http://europa.eu/legislation_summar...roducing_euro_practical_aspects/l25028_en.htm

Also watching this with interest. Had a look at the KD-7000, was all good apart from the ac adapter not included bit. Want the adapter if upgrading.

You can buy the adapter separately here http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/ac-power-adapter-for-kd-7000.html A bit of a pain though. I do like the scale, not only for soaping but in the kitchen as well. I've been using the same batteries since August and they still seem to be going strong. I may get the adapter just to forestall any surprises in the middle of weighing.

Tienne; said:
Just the other day an American friend of mine was telling me how many bushels of pears she's gotten from her tree this year and I was thinking, what the heck is a bushel?!? LOL! How Americans manage to get any math done with all those old-fashioned measurements is beyond me. :lol:

Me too and I'm American LOL :wink:

I guess you can Google the weight of any small metal object you have lying around. For instance, I now know that a .40 S&W 165gr Remington Golden Saber hollow point weighs 11 grams.

Nurse Emily- you crack me up. Too funny. If i hadnt had a 500 gram weight to check my scale, i would have done the same thing- my husband re-loads and knows by heart the weight of everything!!!

also there is another post on here somewhere about the kd7000 and 8000. I have the 7000 because of that post! i LOVE it. Although it does one thing that i dont particularly care for, instead of it measuring by ones' meaning .10-.11-.12-.13 etc. etc, it only measures by fives- .10-.15-.20 and so on. MAYBE it is a programming thing that i havent figured out.

It looks like the KD-7000 only has 1g increments... It would be nice to have a scale which did .1, .01 or .001 increments. (More expensive, I know...)

Nurse Emily- you crack me up. Too funny. If i hadnt had a 500 gram weight to check my scale, i would have done the same thing- my husband re-loads and knows by heart the weight of everything!!!
ha! that's awesome!! I want to re-load so bad! I have hundreds of empties I keep in their original boxes with thoughts that "one day...." (one day.... I'll be able to afford the equipment)

ha! that's awesome!! I want to re-load so bad! I have hundreds of empties I keep in their original boxes with thoughts that "one day...." (one day.... I'll be able to afford the equipment)

shop places like gunbroker.com, forums, etc. People will be able to help set you up with stuff. Dont buy direct from a store, that is expensive. shop it out from people who are having to sell stuff. takes longer, but thats what we did. Then also remember that some rounds are still cheaper to buy than to re-load. so that will help you to not have to buy dyes, etc. but i will stop before i get flagged for changing the subject!!! :)

Back