how to store soap while curing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Dove

Reaction score
My first batch of soap is in it's "curing" stage. I put it on my tongue and didn't get zapped but I guess it probably still needs to cure. It's been sitting on a cooling rack in my kitchen for the last week. I should probably move it out of the way.

Can it go in a box in a cabinet or the basement? Does it need a specific temperature or airflow? I was thinking of throwing it into a cardboard box and placing it in a kitchen cabinet or a shelf in the basement.

I bought some of these and put wax paper underneath the soap as they cure. they stack well on some shelves i have in a back room (open).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! You can place your soap anywhere in your home where the humidity is not high and that the room air has a chance to circulate. It is an added bonus if you can place your soap where direct sunlight does not hit it. Make sure to rotate your soap - move it so a particular side is not always facing down upon a solid surface - at least once a week. After a good cure for a month you can then place your soap (preferably of the same scent) in cardboard boxes - and store them (again) where the humidity is not high.

I store mine in Raspberry Boxes from Costco and line them with paper towel and they stack so nicely. However, I have never rotated my soap or flipped them around and they cure great. I'm too busy to rotate soap.

A tip, Mr. Dove -- Next time you "zap" test a new soap, just rub a damp fingertip on the soap and touch the fingertip very lightly to your tongue. If you don't get zapped, then you can lick on your soap to your heart's content. If you do get zapped with the fingertip method, it will only be a momentary "ugh" moment, rather than a possible chemical burn as some have gotten with the direct "lick on the bar" method. :)

I have my soap setting on an old oven rack so the air can circulate without having to flip it over..

A ventilated plastic or stainless steel shelf is what I use. It does need the air circulation..

Back