Whats your Favorite Base Oil or Base Oil Blend

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance71975

Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering what everyone's favorite Base oil or Base oil Blend is? I have a few favs depending on the soap, but my most fav is Olive oil/coconut oil 50/50 blend.

Do you find that high of a percent of coconut to be drying? Just curious, I've always been afraid to do more then 25%. My fav base oil is olive oil unless I'm doing salt bars then its 100% coconut with 20% super fat. I also love avocado oil and Shea butters

beef tallow, love the feel of it, and the price (free for me, just my time to render it). Depending on my soap I use anything from 40% to 70%. I haven't done 100% for anything but laundry. I like sunflower too, usually use a small % of that, then I fill in with others, depending on my mood and what I am looking for

HutCar92 said:
Do you find that high of a percent of coconut to be drying? Just curious, I've always been afraid to do more then 25%. My fav base oil is olive oil unless I'm doing salt bars then its 100% coconut with 20% super fat. I also love avocado oil and Shea butters

I only do 50/50 for me, because on top having sensitive skin, i also have very oil skin, but no it hasn't over dried my skin, my skin is still oily lol.

Kansas Farm Girl said:
beef tallow, love the feel of it, and the price (free for me, just my time to render it). Depending on my soap I use anything from 40% to 70%. I haven't done 100% for anything but laundry. I like sunflower too, usually use a small % of that, then I fill in with others, depending on my mood and what I am looking for

Beef Tallow is one i have been wanting to try but i dont have local access to it, and i have thus far only been using stuff i can get locally. I do like using Lard with other oils.

if you are willing to spend the time to render it, stop at the meat section of your grocery store and see if they trim meat there and if so, if you can get it. Or some stores have it stocked by the meat department. Or a meat market. Maybe an ethnic grocery store? Thinking Mexican or Cuban? Not sure, I don't have any here, just trying to think where you might find it.

Kansas Farm Girl said:
if you are willing to spend the time to render it, stop at the meat section of your grocery store and see if they trim meat there and if so, if you can get it. Or some stores have it stocked by the meat department. Or a meat market. Maybe an ethnic grocery store? Thinking Mexican or Cuban? Not sure, I don't have any here, just trying to think where you might find it.

We do have a local Grocery that does trim meat, tho i dont know what they would charge for it, and i honestly wouldn't be sure how to go about rendering it properly.

Kansas Farm Girl said:

We are regularly rendering pig lard, is rendering beef tallow somehow different? And does it smell more?

majstor said:
Kansas Farm Girl said:

We are regularly rendering pig lard, is rendering beef tallow somehow different? And does it smell more?

I rendered Beef tallow yesterday, it smelled no different than cooking hamburgers.

Lilahblossom said:
I did half and half tallow and olive oil. The look and texture is divine. I did add an oz of castor oil for three lb. Very hard and sophisticated soap.

Sounds Awesome!

I'm loving the mix of palm, coconut, lard with up to 10% castor oil. I also did 1 tablespoon of sugar ppo in my water before I added the lye, so I have a lovely bubbling soap that is splendid, even after just 2 weeks, we love it.

VanessaP said:
I'm loving the mix of palm, coconut, lard with up to 10% castor oil. I also did 1 tablespoon of sugar ppo in my water before I added the lye, so I have a lovely bubbling soap that is splendid, even after just 2 weeks, we love it.

cant wait to try the beef tallow i just rendered for the second time today, i come out with 3lbs 14 oz of tallow from 10lbs of fat, total cost 1.00!!!!!! that comes out to .0161290322589645 cents per Oz!!!! NOW that allows for a profit margin!

Beef tallow, absolute favorite! Hard bar, feels great, lovely lather when 4-5% castor is in the recipe. Cost is low if you can source the fat and render it. Suet or "kidney fat" is the best, cleaner to render. Trimmings will work.

Rendering is easy, lots of "how to" on the net. I render about 500 pounds a year for soap.

vance71975 said:
cant wait to try the beef tallow i just rendered for the second time today, i come out with 3lbs 14 oz of tallow from 10lbs of fat, total cost 1.00!!!!!! that comes out to .0161290322589645 cents per Oz!!!! NOW that allows for a profit margin!
until you factor in the cost of the gas/electricity, the clean up water/materials, and your own time - of course.

I've discovered cost is way more complex than I first thought.

carebear said:
vance71975 said:
until you factor in the cost of the gas/electricity, the clean up water/materials, and your own time - of course.

I've discovered cost is way more complex than I first thought.

well in my case just my time, and considering i am unemployed, my time isn't real valuable.gas/electricity isn't a factor for me as that bill isn't in my name.lol

birchcoulee said:
Beef tallow, absolute favorite! Hard bar, feels great, lovely lather when 4-5% castor is in the recipe. Cost is low if you can source the fat and render it. Suet or "kidney fat" is the best, cleaner to render. Trimmings will work.

Rendering is easy, lots of "how to" on the net. I render about 500 pounds a year for soap.

I rendered trimmings, did 3 stages to purify it, twice with water third stage was just the tallow to remove all excess water.

Back