shampoo bar still oily/greasy- 3 weeks cure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeu

Reaction score
this cp shampoo bar was my third ever soap made. stirred to light trace, poured and placed into oven (no heat) around 6-8 hours.

a small 1lb batch. superfat 6%, water- subbed with beer

olive oil 4oz
castor oil 3 oz
coconut oil 3oz
palm oil 2oz
avocado oil 1 oz
cocoa butter 1 oz
jojoba oil 1 oz
shea butter 1oz

after 3 weeks curing- it still feels kind of greasy/oily/fatty and if i press hard- i can put a dent vs salt bar and castile bar ( made about the same time) is much harder.

not much lather, but washes clean and is non drying

keep curing or ?

Hmmmm - how accurate is your scale? I don't soap batches smaller than 2# because I found smaller batches inconsistent - which I blame on errors in measurement (and I do have a good scale and I am anal).

3 weeks is a long time, but not tooooo long. Did the soap gel when you made it?

I would convert a 1 lb. batch into grams. You will get a more accurate measure that way. How much lye and how much water did you use?

its an electronic scale with tare. had good reviews on amazon :)

water/beer 6.08oz
lye 2.09 oz

not sure if it gelled. i put it in the oven 6-8 hours vs insulating with blankets.

i'm definitely going to change it to grams now!

should i keep letting it cure or rebatch. never rebatched before but have been reading up on the process.

thanks.

My shampoo bars took a while to harden up good too. It was almost 6 weeks before I considered them hard enough. I love them though, been using them in the shower since about 4 weeks. I"ve not had much success at rebatching yet, I've tried twice. I really didnt want to rebatch these bars because they were so pretty. Mine was a 4.5lb batch.

Back