Why won't my candles/tarts throw scent??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnie03

Reaction score
So I am new to this whole candle & tart making thing. I started out making 100% soy tarts & candles using Goldens 464 soy. I have since purchased from Nature's Garden Candles Joy Wax (blend) and their brand of 100% soy wax. I have made a ton of candles & tarts now using these waxes and fragrances from Nature's Garden and Candlescience. I let my candles cure for at least 5 days but I am not getting any scent throw on candles or tarts :cry: ! The only one so far I've been able to smell was a MacIntosh apple scent from Candlescience which happened to be my first batch I ever made. I even had a really potent smelling Lemon Verbena that once lit, I couldn't smell at all. Any suggestions? I have been melting 100% soy wax @ 185 adding color, removing from heat and either adding fragrance right away (1 oz/lb wax) or if the flashpoint was really low I would wait until it cooled to it's flashpoint. Candlescience rates their fragrances 1-3 leaves, 3 being strongest soy throw for large rooms. The MacIntosh Apple was a 3. Anyways, the ones that were only 2 leaves I would add 1.5 oz/lb of wax and then the finished product would be all cracked & chunky on top and I'm thinking it's from adding too much fragrance (this was on the Goldens 464). So far I haven't burned a Joy wax candle because I'm waiting for them to cure, but I have a tart burning right now that I don't smell - I walk right up to the burner and practically shove my nose into the hot wax before I smell anything :?

some fragrance oils dont seem to stick very well in soy wax. I have no tried the soy wax you mentioned before. i have used eco soya pure soy, advanced and cb excel. i have a really hard time finding fragrance oils for the excel wax...there is almost no scent throw. you might just need to try some other fragrance oils or suppliers

After doing a lot of research on this I am finding that many people have stated that even if there is a low flashpoint on a certain fo you should still add your fo at higher temp. The flashpoint means if you have a spark or flame around then it would ignite. Most people still add there fos around 170 for a better scent throw. I too was having the same problem as you and have now changed my process to add at 170. Hope this helps.

Back