pudding query

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pudding in America means something between mousse and custard. Which I would not want in my soap. Why, oh why do people want to put food in soap? I do not want to wash with my dinner OR my desert, thank you.

Wouldn't instant pudding be just like adding sugar? 1t/PPO of the mix should work in theory but I wouldn't expect more than label appeal.

Wouldn't instant pudding be just like adding sugar? 1t/PPO of the mix should work in theory but I wouldn't expect more than label appeal.

I don't think so. Instant pudding is more than just sugar and flavors. There are thickeners in there, too.

Vanilla instant pudding igredients:
"Sugar, Modified Food Starch, Contains Less Than 2% Of Natural And Artificial Flavor, Salt, Disodium Phosphate And Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate (For Thickening), Mono- And Diglycerides (Prevent Foaming), Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Artificial Color, BHA (Preservative)"

As for putting food into soap, aren't the oils we use also a sort of food? A friend of mine wants nothing to do with lard soap because she equates it with rubbing bacon grease all over her body.

I have a carrot puree/buttermilk soap that I make for another friend. She is positive the carrot is what makes it special. I think she's just fallen prey to the label, myself, but it is bubbly and a pretty yellowy color.

And... I vote that you make a small batch or two (I like my little 1lb mold). One could have 1 or 2 T ppo of made pudding mixed in. Another could have the pudding mix instead. Then, report back to us on your results. I think Auntie Clara used ice cream once. There's nothing wrong with a little experimentation just for fun.

The basic ingredients of homemade pudding (American-style) are milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and flavoring. Except for the cornstarch and flavoring, I've used all of those things in soap, so I think a pudding-themed soap using all those ingredients (except for flavoring- use FO instead) is very doable. :mrgreen:

IrishLass :)

Thanks for the advice. I would make homemade pudding so no chemicals there. My thought was that it would add creaminess and color, and maybe bubbles, depending on what flavor I make. I love putting food in my soap. I mean if you didn't add lye all soap is food.

I saw someone grind up a taco from Taco Bell and put it into soap... so pudding definitely seems reasonable to me.

One thing you could try instead is breaking it down to its ingredients to determine what you're trying to accomplish.

A tempered egg yolk added to soap makes it creamier. A few spoons of dissolved sugar increases bubbles. And milks are nice additions for creaminess and gentleness too. If you want a brown colour, cocoa powder is an option. So if you add all those ingredients to your soap one-by-one, it's basically accomplishing the same thing as pudding would!

The basic ingredients of homemade pudding (American-style) are milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and flavoring. Except for the cornstarch and flavoring, I've used all of those things in soap.:mrgreen:

Me too, but not all at one time.:grin:

The basic ingredients of homemade pudding (American-style) are milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and flavoring. Except for the cornstarch and flavoring, I've used all of those things in soap, so I think a pudding-themed soap using all those ingredients (except for flavoring- use FO instead) is very doable. :mrgreen:

I have used all in soap including cornstarch and maltodextrin. They really lend nothing to the soap

Back