Question regarding rapeseed (aka canola) oil...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elenmirie

Reaction score
For my first soap recipe I chose a recipe that used olive (pomace) oil, sustainable palm oil, coconut oil and rapeseed oil, which I understand is the same as canola oil in North America.

I bought the olive, palm and coconut from a soap supplies place (Just a Soap), but decided to use the same stuff I use for cooking for the rapeseed oil, which I buy as "Crisp and Dry" brand here in the UK.

The label on the front says "100% rapeseed oil" but the ingredient list says also "anti-foaming agent: di methyl polysyloxane (E900)".

Any ideas whether this anti-foaming agent is something to worry about with soap? I've already tested it on an animal (me!) even though it's not fully cured, because I'm impatient, and it lathers up nicely. But do I need to worry about that additive? The label doesn't say what percentage of E900 is in the oil. Should I be buying purer stuff or is the cooking oil ok for use in soap? It's cheap as chips...

Any advice appreciated!

Blessed be.

~ elenmirie ~

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing!

Back