Hanger Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry

Reaction score
I cut this today after making it last night. I'm working with my favorite sandalwood FO which unfortunately accelerates a bit so being quick is necessary. I ran out of TD, so I've been experimenting with designs without it until my order arrives.

The colors are really off on my cellphone photos, but the background is a medium "army green" made with a mix of ultramarine blue with yellow oxide. The black is just activated carbon, and the orange (which looks deeper in real) is a mix of red and yellow oxide. What looks like blue in the photo is actually an emerald green mica, which looks more green in real life.

It's supposed to be a guy soap and so I also put cedarwood and fir needle EO with the sandalwood. Smelled like a cat peed on dirty socks early this morning when freshly cut. Scared me! Hahaha... but now it settled down and really smells great (to me).

20170216_122139.jpg

20170216_122155.jpg

Very striking!! I LOL at your description of the smell upon cutting this morning. Glad it settled down for you. :)

On my phone it looks like avocado green base color with turquoise/blueish green and neon orange. But anyway it's so pretty!!! And the scent sounds delightful ( not the cat pee part ) ;)

Wow Gerry, I love the colors and the scent combo sounds pretty sweet to me! It's giving me vibes of a Petra swirl which is totally awesome :)
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=59287&highlight=petra+swirl

Just watched the video and yes, I use a very similar technique - layering against the wall of a tilted loaf mold after pouring in the base color.

What I did though was layer first black-orange-black-orange...etc., then a thicker layer of the base color, then black-emerald green-black-green-black...etc. The base layer in the middle isolates the two striped color combinations. When done, I level the mold and pour the rest of the base on top, then do my hanger swirl. Sadly in this case I didn't reserve enough colors for the top because I got carried away with the layering...

You are becoming a master at mixing oxides for color, which is no small feat (well, to me anyway)! Just beautiful.

Back